Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Phases

We've all been told about the various phases that children go through: separation anxiety, terrible twos, terrific threes, ferocious fours, my parents are the coolest 5-8s, my parents are so lame 12-15s, car keys now! 16s, "Dad why do you grab the shotgun whenever I say a boy's name" 17s, and of course the "hey, my parents mentioned that when I was younger...they are pretty smart and I can relate now" mid to late 20s.

Well amongst all of that, is Gabriella's current phase: "It's bedtime, I know it, I'm tired, but WHY AREN'T YOU GOING TO BED YET?!?!" phase. As we have posted before, there is a great book (actually haven't read it yet though I'd like to get it), that was recommended to me and I've done a fair bit of research on the topic.  It's called the The Family Bed and it is about the concept of Sleep Sharing or Co-Sleeping.  Basically, Gabbie has a little "structure/bed" that is right in the middle of Sarah and I (prevents me from rolling over onto her and provides the best support/surface for her).  I will admit, that it is a challenge at times when you crawl in bed, are chilly, and would love to snuggle, but then just seeing the peaceful bliss on her face is worth it.  Plus you can roll over at any time to kiss her - like I just did.

Let me describe this phase a bit more.  Bathtime typically starts between 730 and 8.  She gets into her PJs, snuggles with daddy, gets a goodnight kiss from daddy, then mommy feeds her, admires her, kisses her, swaddles her, kisses her again, and starts to soothe her to sleep.  Then the "phase" takes over.  Every so often there are these little outbursts.  Her eyes rarely open, and really there is very little that we need to do as parents.  In fact, I was just downstairs doing some things on the computer when I heard her on the monitor.  I came upstairs, got on my side of the bed, and all is well now.  Sometimes it's just a soft rub of her head or a kiss on the cheek, but most often I think she can just sense that mommy or daddy is there.

I know that some people might roll their eyes and say "well good luck eventually, if ever transferring her to her crib," but based on what I've found and a friend who raised one child the "traditional way", and the other in the family bed, I'm not worried.  It's just a phase and she will get over it.

Goodnight my sweet angel!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! People are always going to have opinions about child-rearing, but I really think you need to do what's best for you and if it's working for you two and Gabby, then wonderful!

    We personally started with a pack 'n' play next to our bed, then transferred John to his crib, and now with the hubby travelling for work I've taken to bringing my little cuddle-bug back to "the big bed" every now and then. I love having his little chubby hand wrapped around my forefinger and him snuggled right up next to me:)

    Your set-up sounds perfect, and adorable.

    ReplyDelete