Friday, December 3, 2010

Flexitarianism

What the heck is flexitarianism?!?!  You know I need to admit that I wasn't completely familiar with the term until more recently.  However, ever since a year ago when diagnosed with the C-monster I've researched, thought about, and greatly considered becoming a vegetarian.  Yet I would always have some caveats to being a vegetarian - the main one being that I love seafood and there is a lot of great health benefits to good seafood and fish.  Another thing is that, honestly, I dont think that I could ever convince Sarah - in fact after meeting her I didn't know if I would have to revert to a primarily red meat diet - thank God I didn't.  One of the things that has really helped us has been all of our time watching the Food Network and trying new things.  In fact, some of our family members are really starting to think we know how to cook - from our homemade pizzas to our roasted yams on Thanksgiving.

One of the biggest challenges that I think I would have with being a vegetarian would be the transition.  I HATE cooking with recipes.  I'll use recipes for general ideas but get those measurements away from me.  You create a dinner, you dont manufacture it.  But I wouldn't know how to do that and have enough variety and ensure that we are getting the right nutrients.

That being said, I've found some great resources in my Bicycling magazine.  First of all, a fair number of cyclists are vegetarians.  Same with some of the best football players, basketball players, sprinters, distance runners, and the most famous winners of the Iron Man Competition.  There is no arguing that being a vegetarian is a great thing for you - in fact most vegetarians are healthier, much healthier - in terms of weight, overall health conditions (especially heart health), attitude, mental functions, and they live on average 9 years longer.  Yet, just as I struggle, it isn't the easiest transition.  Therefore, in the past decade there has been a lot of research and articles on whether or not you can be a "part-time vegetarian."  The majority of the best high endurance athletes fall into the category of "flexitarian" - it is essentially a more flexible diet than your traditional diet.  A fair number of meals are vegetarian in composition, and some chicken and fish/seafood are included in the diet (or one or the other making you a pollotarian or a pescatarian).

Traditionally, the American meal consists of a big, usually not the healthiest prepared or grown chunk o meat, occasionally some carbs, and then your typical 2-3 spoonfuls of a vegetable on the side.  Alternatively, it is becoming more and more nutritionally recommended, and the emphasis of a flexitarian meal containing meat, that we should flip portions.  Whole grains and vegetables are, and should be, the main portion of your meal and if animal protein is used, it should be limited and viewed as a side.

I love food.  I love to eat, and therefore, like some, I sometimes overeat - especially if it is right in front of me.  I have been focusing and going to really challenge myself through this holiday season that just because food is out and offered, doesn't mean you have to eat it.  And when I do, I want to be more selective.  I'm committing to a transition to a flexitarian diet going forward.  This will help me get healthier, lose some weight, provide the added health benefits that vegetarians enjoy, yet not make me the "difficult person" who is invited to dinner with dietary restrictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment