I just realized the other day when browsing our blog that I never posted anything about my 6-month check-up. It happened toward the beginning of November rather than the middle of November because I wanted to catch Dr. Chen before he went on vacation - especially since I was having more anxiety than I typically have. Let me tell you, it was INCREDIBLE.
I went in and had the CT scan which was odd. For the first time I didn't have to drink the "medical smoothie" contrast which is oh so delicious (note all sarcasm). I asked the technician who then double-checked with Dr. Chen and he said that the orders were only for a chest scan since my abdomen has been clear as glass (other than the pudge but that is a different story).
The next day I had my appointment with Dr. Chen and one of the things that I love about Dr. Chen, but also struggle with is his "welcome approach". He is always so enthusiastic and happy and is sure to first off, ask me how I'm doing. How have the last months been? How have you been feeling? Which is good, but then he throws in a question like he did at my 3-month of "have you noticed any pressure in your chest?" in which case you can read him so well and then wonder, "what is going on?"
With the anxiety, I wasn't up for hearing any of that, so when he came in and asked me how I was doing, I politely just said, well you know more than I so how am I doing? GREAT! Really? Really? Wonderful!
The size of my thymus is slowly decreasing, the speed is not a concern since the type of cancer I had leaves behind a lot of scar tissue, and they aren't worried at all about it - it was definitely thymic rebound. In fact, he has decided to skip the 9-month appointment and doesn't want to see me until April or May. The news gets better....
We are going to play it by ear, but he is thinking that we will do one more CT scan in May, and as long as all is clear we will switch over to X-rays. X-rays also give some radiation, but 1 CT scan is equivalent to 200 X-rays - so the radiation is FAR less. The precision isn't as detailed, but based on how things are progressing and that if the cancer were to return it is more likely in the first year, both Dr. Chen and I feel comfortable going that route. The reason that the radiation is an issue, is that just like anyone getting radiation it puts added risk on the body. As Dr. Chen said, he would hate to over test me as a healthy young man, and then 15 years down the road I have lung cancer from sitting in the CT machine too much. Keep me healthy and alive. Then as long as the X-rays look good through 5 years, I will be noted as "medically cured."
PRAISE GOD AND LIVESTRONG!
No comments:
Post a Comment