Saturday we got to celebrate Gabriella's first Christmas. It was a wonderful day despite only getting to share the day with only one set of grandparents - I guess we will just have to have a second celebration later in January. Friday evening we changed our Steinbrecher tradition of midnight mass and opted for the 5pm Family Mass - likely a new tradition for the next 8-10 years. It was a really beautiful mass. We got out the door later than we wanted to so we started mass in the packed church (over 700 people at both the 5pm and midnight masses - and to think they had 11 total over Christmas Eve and Christmas Day) standing on the side. Then an incredibly kind gentleman saw us on the side and insisted that as a family we take his spot and added space in the row. Therefore, we were pinned with 2 elderly women on each side of us - we are sure it is fair to say that neither woman heard a single part of mass. The whole time they were just staring at Gabbie, talking about how beautiful she was in her Christmas dress and how well behaved she is. Mass was also especially special and cute because it was the first Christmas mass that Fr. Christopher has celebrated as a priest. He began mass with a cracking voice and again at the beginning of the homily he was moved to tears. It was really special.
Christmas morning we woke up and as a family shared our gifts. We had some things from each other as well as from Santa and the Mrs. It was really cute, Mrs. Claus got Gabriella the movie Snow White. Sarah was very surprised as she opened her series of gifts. After all of the love and support she gave me through treatment and through my cycling I got her a LIVESTRONG track jacket, and then decided to spoil her with a Canon Rebel T1i D-SLR camera. The actual camera came from Santa so that I get to enjoy it as well, but it is fair to say she is ecstatic about the gift. And now, we get to share even more pictures with you. Aunt Kaitlin and Uncle Matt actually sent us with some added gifts after the Christmas party that Gabs got to open as well. She got some linkable letters which are great for chewing and these days she loves anything that goes in her mouth, but the best present ever, not that anyone can not love a huggable bear, is a book that Kaitlin found. It is called "Where is Home Little Pip?" and since before we knew Gabriella was ... Gabriella we called her Pip it is SUCH A GREAT GIFT. However, after opening gifts she also wanted to move around a bit. In fact, here is a gorgeous picture of Gabriella playing in her jumperoo that Grammie Tuna and Grampa got for her.
After opening presents we had some breakfast before cleaning up the house, taking Nikki on a short walk, and then heading over to David and Ashton's for brunch and Christmas with most of the family. Other than Gabriella's diaper rash, it was a good time. We told her all about Santa's rosy cheeks, but she just took it too literally.
With the Leopold side of the family we always do a gift exchange where we pick names and then can get one person some better gifts than everyone something small. For the last 3 years either Sarah or myself have had Mom. Therefore, we were running out of ideas since she has recently found that eBay is a great place to get clothes and finds really cute stuff. Sarah surprised her with a Tudor Choir cd (the Tudor Choir is directed by our friend Doug Fullington), a book about Mother Theresa, a platter, and some napkins. From David (who was my helper elf on the camera) Sarah received some protective lens covers, a Canon Rebel for Dummies book, and lens cap attachments. I picked Dad's name and was really struggling with what to get for him. He has really gotten into rowing and sailing lately and even though I'm a cyclist we enjoy sharing our exercising experiences and goals. Come to find out, because he doesn't want to be without one, his rowing shirts dont get in the laundry as often as Mom would like (Sarah can probably relate). I also found a book on rowing and how it really can be a reflection of the personal journey throughout life. Although I dont row, it looked like it would be a really great and inspiring read. Consequently, Dad had my name and unlike some other years didn't need any help getting a gift. Apparently I'm an easy buy once you think LIVESTRONG or anything cycling. I think he went over the allotted limit so I probably owe another gift, but he ordered for me the Livestrong windfront vest. Not the 2010 style which is discounted, but the new 2011 design which I think is so sleek of a look - though I was convincing myself that the 2010 style would look just as good if I ordered it. He also found a gift that I'd love to share with Nicole which is the movie Breaking Away - a cycling movie. It was fair to say that I was smiling ear to ear and LOVE my gift. There wasn't much that could top my gift, but there are always happy times and smiles to come from the family.
Gabriella was spoiled by Aunt Ashton and Uncle David and is seen in this picture (with a jealous Kenya looking to the side) opening the book Someday (warning: it's a tear jerker).
When we left David and Ashton's we went back to our place and had Mom, Dad, Nicole and Emily for some surf 'n turf dinner. I grilled up some swordfish and tenderloin. DELICIOUS. Grandma and Grandpa Leopold also got a picture, a noisy little ball popper toy (hard to explain but I love it just as much as Gabs), and this book which Gabbie sure does love. It's called "I Love You Through and Through."
Altogether it was a GREAT Christmas. We weren't able to see my family which was a bummer. We will see Mom and Dad in late January, but still it's unfortunate that we won't get to see Josh, Chrissy, and the Kiefert kiddos. Aside from that downfall we were able to start some new traditions, think of some additional family traditions, and just love each other, enjoy our time off of work together, and get some good laughs out. It is wonderful to spend such special times with your best friend and beautiful, growing family.
As I've said before, I sure am one blessed guy. I used to say lucky, but Fr. Daniel always corrects me that luck is for the pagans, I'm blessed.
From our family, we hope that you are enjoying the beginning of this Christmas Season!



No comments:
Post a Comment