Hello Family, Friends, Fellow Survivors, Caregivers, and Supporters,
First and foremost, I hope that you and your family are doing well and have had a wonderful start to the Christmas season. Our growing family is doing wonderfully. Gabriella enjoyed her first Christmas and each and every day we are reminded how much of a blessing and gift that she has been in our lives. Our puppy Nikki has had some down days now that 99.9% of the attention is toward Gabriella, but we also know they are becoming best friends (especially evident when Nikki lays her head right next to Gabs as she plays in her jungle gym). Sarah is also doing very well. The transition back to work has been made very easy because our childcare provider, Yolly, is such a wonderful, loving gal and treats Gabriella as her own. And me, I'm doing well. Things definitely aren't "back to normal" and I don't foresee them ever being there, but as a survivor, you survive and enjoy every bit of the life that you are given.
2009 was the year of enjoyment, perceived good health, frustrating doctors appointments, and then my Trick or Treat diagnosis on Halloween.
2010 was the year of poison, drugs, treatment, healing, support of SO MANY family and friends, and the ultimate gift of survivorship and life - our dear Gabriella
2011 will be a year of enjoyment, life, development as we grow as parents and Gabs grows each day, and continued support and encouragement for the other fighters.
As part of that in 2011 is our commitment to LIVESTRONG. Prior to my diagnosis I knew of LIVESTRONG and Lance Armstrong as a survivor and athlete, but I was never aware of all of the advocacy, support of those diagnosed/supporting those diagnosed with cancer, and ultimate drive to live in a world free of cancer. As I become more and more familiar with the programs, services, and research that LIVESTRONG does, I've become more and more committed to the cause. Because of that, in my cycling this year, I'm challenging myself, local businesses, and my family and friends to help me raise $12,000 for the Lance Armstrong Foundation.
Last year, with the help of many of you, we contributed just over $2,500 in the 5 months that I was fundraising. This year, I will have quite the series of rides planned, along with countless hours of training on and off the bike. Here are some of the rides that I'll be doing:
- Flying Wheels Summer Century - 100 miles
- Group Health Seattle to Portland (STP) - 203 miles (2 day option with Team LIVESTRONG participants)
- Seattle Century - 100 miles
- Festival 542 (decision pending) - 24.5 miles up Mount Baker
- Livestrong Day (grassroots event)
- Livestrong Challenge Austin 2011 - 90 miles
- Ride for the Roses - All dependent on meeting my fundraising goal
I was also asked to consider RAMROD (Ride Around Mount Rainier in One Day) but between my other rides and the lottery to get in, I think I'll do that another year.
Cycling for me has become a great joy and great personal challenge. Never did I think I would even consider riding a bike for 50 miles, let alone 100 miles. However, even just 2 months after my last round of chemo I was able to get out in the pouring rain and ride 70 miles in my first Livestrong Challenge.
So why LIVESTRONG?
Cancer is the world's number one killer taking more lives each year than AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis combined. We have to make it a priority. Also, cancer still carries a stigma that keeps people from getting all of the information and resources available to them. Every cancer survivor deserves the opportunity to get help, connect with a larger community of support, and share the courage that keeps everyone fighting every day. There are over 28 million survivors living with cancer today. I guarantee that each and every one of you know someone with or has, unfortunately, lost someone to cancer. LIVESTRONG is committed to bringing an end to cancer in our lifetime. Cancer should be something that Gabriella can one day say, "my daddy had that. He beat it, he survived, and now no one has to go through anything like that because there is no more cancer." Wouldn't that be awesome? LIVESTRONG is also committed to providing resources to those newly diagnosed, going through treatment, and living life after treatment. They have incredible, useful resources. Just the other week I reached out to the SurvivorCare network to get some support, direction, and better understanding of some of the things I battle every day which are a likely result of my diagnosis and treatment. It helps, but we need generous donations to keep the support going.
As you close out 2010 and the holiday season, please consider those in your lives who are fighting, have fought, or are remembered for their battle with cancer. If you are looking to close out the year with any tax-deductible donations, LIVESTRONG can be that organization. Please, give generously in honor of everyone impacted by cancer and help me to with LIVESTRONG to strengthen our fight against cancer.
I'll keep you updated on my training, fundraising, and rides in honor of all those who donate to me. You can also follow our family blog, as well as my cycling and training blog (I Ride For...)
Thank you for considering supporting me and this cause!
aj
No comments:
Post a Comment