Honestly I don't know why I'm writing this blog right now. Not that I don't want to provide information or document any of my thoughts, but rather, because it is 47 degrees and sunny right now. The roads were drying out yesterday and I decided it was worth switching the lights over to my "summer" bike (my new one) and enjoy the ride to work. The morning ride, as expected at 34 degrees was a bit chilly. In hindsight, I probably should have grabbed my fishing gloves instead of my cycling gloves. But fingers thaw relatively quickly, right? I was quickly reminded how much I LOVE this new bike. It's fair to say (and there are multiple other reasons), that I have the most amazing wife ever for letting me upgrade (and no, I'm not just saying that to soften her up for a request to get a Trek Madone). Compared to my Redline aluminum it is night and day different (and I also understand that I have lower grade components and could probably use some replacements in the near future - easier to replace a chain than wear the cogs and need a chain and cassette).
Also, as was previously documented, my cycling endeavors for 2011 are coming together and to fruition - including a significant fundraising goal (I would greatly appreciate your generosity and any ideas/businesses that could help sponsor me). That being said, with such a list of rides, and focus on wanting to lose weight, really train, and really have a good season (don't worry Sarah I'll be home enough), as well as to bring some visibility to those that I need to thank, ride for intentions, and recognize in my fundraising, I didn't want to overload visitors to what has become our family adventures blog. There will of course be some overlap from time to time, but if you are interested in keeping a keen look at my training, cycling thoughts, etc., it's in its infancy, but my cycling blog is called I Ride For... which was chosen for a few reasons. Firstly, from the LIVESTRONG campaign that happened during the Tour of California last year, secondly, because on my Road ID my bottom tagline is "I Ride for Life", and thirdly, because I really do want to dedicate my rides to those who need it most and especially to those who support me in these endeavors with generous fundraising. My first donation came from Deb and Ben Martinek who are cruising the US paying off debt as truck drivers (Life on the Road), and within their lives, like everyone, they have been affected by cancer. Though the season is early and fundraising is slow right now, I still wanted to dedicate my commute today to my sister and her family. They have had their share of struggles including some health issues, but just like the weather today, the sun is coming out - there are some job opportunities on the horizon and health of the family is going well. These aren't always shared with others, but they help me stay centered, and what I'm able to (without sharing news that isn't mine to share) I plan to recognize people on my I Ride For... blog as well.
Feel free to follow me there too if interested.
I love you sooooo much!!!! You are the sweetest brother anyone could ask for! I am so grateful that your health has gotten better and I pray that each day you continue to grow stronger and keep fighting! Thanks so much for dedicating your ride today to us! I pray that as 2011 begins our struggles are over. Love you much!
ReplyDelete