Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Since when do we fast during Advent?

Mmmmmm that ice cream tastes delicious. Slow churn vanilla yogurt with some butterfinger on top. I'm not sure if it tasted so good because, well it's yummy, or because it is likely the last thing I'll eat til dinner tomorrow night. Tomorrow I'm working in the morning and then I'm going to GHC Seattle to get a port put in.


Now normally when we talk about the medical stuff of cancer my beautiful resident nurse amazes me and other readers with her knowledge, but she is sleeping on my lap so instead you get me. :)


I've had to try and explain a port to a few others and here is what I've come up with. I was really apprehensive to get it. Two surgeries (one to place it and one to remove it afterward) and it is really close to the heart. Minimize what is done has been my philosophy. That was before some added opinions, understanding it's benefits to me, and dealing with some discomfort from what the drugs are doing to my arms. Tomorrow I go in at noon for pre-op, procedure at 2, and by the time I leave at 530 I'll have a chemo gas cap just under my skin on the left side of my chest.


A port is a central line that is placed under the skin on the left side of the chest and into one of the main veins to the heart. This makes it so that the drugs go into a greater volume of blood and is more quickly dispersed to my body - essentially it dilutes them faster. Now don't be confused, it isn't diluting what they are doing to the cancer cells but instead dilutes them and the impact to my veins - the poison can beat up the veins and make them collapse.


So from now on when I go in they will numb the area, feel for the port, and then poke the needle/IV into the port which has a cap that is rubber allowing it to be poked several times (hopefully only 10 more to the cure). In other words, it's also better for the nurses because they don't have to set the IV but instead make one quick, easy stab.


Like this whole experience I'm not concerned or nervous - it is just another thing and God will be watching over me. Another opportunity to join in prayer to guide the doctor's steady hand. I'll also be praying for my friend Lloyd who will be receiving his treatment 1B.


St Peregrine, pray for us!!


Keep praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment