Monday, December 7, 2009

My Medical Starboard and Failing Follicles

I really like that when I went to get my port in I was with a former Navy sailor (thanks Michelle) because it's on my right side which means it is much more of a starboard than a port :-). I thought I'd let you see a bit of what they did to me. It was really an interesting procedure. I was conscious for the whole thing and actually talking to the doc about cycling. In the last month and a half I've been operated on twice and both were avid cyclists. I miss being able to ride more often. They numbed the area after prepping me, made a 1.5 inch incision, using ultrasound threaded a needed through my subclavian vein, got the catheter set, pulled out the needle, placed the port, and stitched me up. Now just at the top of my pectoral muscle I've got a little bump. The nurses in the onc. dept will now just poke me once there with a needle. Below are some close up pictures. Due to the lighting you can really only see the incision on the one. Don't mind the yellow around it from the iodine - haven't been able to get the area wet since surgery.
So the bad thing about it is that...well.. I'm no Lucas (those who know him know what I'm talking about) but I do have a hairy chest. Well to get the area prepped and all they got out the razor. You can see that I've got some regrowing I need to get working on. But this let's you see how it looks. (the reason they cut such a large area is because there are actually 3 different ways the doctor can go in based on the ultrasound so they want to give him all his options before sanitizing the area).
And while we are on the topic of hair, it's seeming like the beautiful blonde locks aren't going to be hanging around for very long. Today my head was itchy and it wasn't a normal kind of itchy. So I thought I'd give a little tug to see what was going on. Wondering what was going on? This was going on its way out....
That's right. The failing follicles. David and Ashton (Sarah's brother and future sister-in-law) get married on Saturday and we are both in the wedding. It would be nice to have some hair for the pictures - I know Sarah would appreciate it. I wanted to shave it before it came out on its own but now we are so close to the wedding I'm going to try and hope these little follicles hold on for dear life. Sunday we'll probably be shining the baby soft scalp. So c'mon little guys, hang with me.
Reality is, I'm going to join the ranks of the bald and beautiful shortly. And in preparation for that I will share another picture of a reader who sent me his beautiful shine - and a really nice piece of jerky!! :-) Again, nice shot Jeff!
Tomorrow is Tuesday - prep day. Operation hydrate 2a. That's right folks, tomorrow marks the last day of cycle 1 and into the first day of cycle 2. ONE CYCLE DOWN, 5 TO GO!!! TAKE THAT CANCER. HOW DOES THAT CHEMO TASTE?!?!
Pray without ceasing, but I especially appreciate the prayers on Wednesdays. They help me and maybe they even serve as a great reminder for you to be praying. If so, I'm glad I can help.
On another brief side note I'm happy to let you know that Pip is now the size of a blueberry (about 1/4 inch long). And what is even more awesome about that, get this little fact - Pip is 10,000 times bigger now than he/she was a month ago. That is awesome! God is good and amazing!!
Keep praying!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this, AJ. We're continuing to pray for you and your beautiful wife. Hang in there - God has a perfect plan for your lives.

    ReplyDelete