Sunday, January 3, 2010

It's kicking my ass but I'm gonna win!!

So the last few days I've been doing really good but also quite angry at this damn cancer crap. I've got a few mouth sores that won't go away (thanks Mel and Libbi for the tip on the mouthwash - hopefully it works just as well), and to say it mildly, I've really been missing my bike recently. So much that I'm thinking of making a few purchases from Performance Bike so I can ride on colder days outside - maybe even start commuting to work earlier than post-cancer days. That being said, I got on my rollers the other day and as we know, one thing that the chemo does is break down muscle tissue and as also decreased my endurance during the days when I'm just wiped out. In late September I was still biking to work (13.7 miles each way) and feeling great about it. Well, I got on the rollers (normally I was doing 5 miles) and I had a hard time even handling 3 miles. Legs were burning, lungs were tight - screw you cancer!

I guess I need to look at the glass half full - like my dad said, at least I'm out there and able to ride - and 3 miles the last 3 days is still better than pushing so hard to only get 5 miles on one day. But still, with the buzz cut my head should be more aerodynamic and get me to ride faster, longer :-)

So that being said, I still miss my bike. I'm chompin' at the bit to ride more although the energy does make me still have to push myself harder. And I really liked when I was biking with a goal ahead of me. Originally I was training for the Seattle to Portland (STP) sponsored by Group Health but then I realized it's the same weekend as a wedding that I'm in. So I think having a goal would be nice.

Flying Wheels
!!! June 12 - mark your calendar. The Cascade Bicycle Club opens registration for non-club members on Feb 4. They have a 25-, 45-, 70-, and 100-mile rides. I'm still not sure what I want to do. Even though I'm only doing 3 miles right now the 25 just seems too whimpy. I'm leaning toward the 45 mile ride. What do ya think? I'll be cancer free by the beginning of May and I should be able to slowly increase my endurance even through treatment if I concentrate on it more with this goal in mind. Am I nuts? Give me some feedback. I know that there will probably be some concern but it's a sport I enjoy and Jimmy V says you just gotta keep living every day. I wish I could figure out how to get a custom cycling jersey made. I'd love to have some sort of "Never give up, don't ever give up", "Victor not Victim", "Trust God...Period" or any other type of anti-Cancer/"I just kicked your ass, cancer" type of jersey. Anyone know how to get a custom jersey? I'm sure it would cost a bit of money and I already have the registration fee. Maybe I can get some sponsorship and then really feel professional :-). Ok now I'm just rambling - I'm not sure what length I'm gonna do, but I'm gonna do it. Wanna ride with me?

Keep praying!

1 comment:

  1. That there is "fight' in you is a good thing. There is a way in which God is in the struggle (cf. Gen 32.29--33). You are on my mind and in my heart. Blessings!
    Fr John

    ReplyDelete