Sunday, January 17, 2010

26 miles in 4 days

24 on bike rollers and 2 on foot. That is right. I've been more active in the last 4 days than ever since getting diagnosed. Enough of the cancer trying to fight at me. I've decided that even when I'm not feeling the best, I'm still going to get out there and ride a little bit - in fact when I wasn't feeling the best last Sunday I didn't think I'd get out to ride but I pushed myself and 4 miles later I felt better than ever, most I imagine was the psychological victory. Also, I want to start building the muscles and miles back up, even if it is just a little bit at a time. So where did the 26 miles come from?

4 miles on rollers - Wednesday
5 miles on rollers - Thursday
5 miles on rollers - Friday AM
5 miles on rollers - Friday PM
2 miles jogging with dad and Nikki (she did good for her first run) - Saturday PM

I know I can ride and I can push myself. I wasn't sure if I could do two sets of 5 miles in one day, and I was proud I did. I haven't gone running since September and even if it was only 2 miles it works different muscles and it felt great - I know I could have pushed myself to do 3 miles if the full gang was up for it. My quads were a little bit sore today, but not horrible. I was actually debating going out for 3-5 miles of easy riding just to stretch the muscles for some strength building. Especially coming into a chemo week, it has felt REALLY good.

So why else is this important? Well of course it is helping run over those cancer cells, but it's also getting me ready for the LiveStrong Challenge in June. In fact, I've gotten such great support that I had already met my initial goal of raising $300 for LiveStrong and Cancer research. Well since I was able to do that with the support of only a handful of people I decided that just as I am pushing myself I'm going to try and push those around me to help support the cause. I raised $400 in just over a week so I've been inspired by you and decided to increase my goal to $1000. I hope if you haven't already that you would consider supporting me and donating to the cause. You can either send us a check or donate directly online at the following site: http://seattle2010.livestrong.org/ajstein

Also, I was praying and I've made a decision to dedicate the ride to my supporters. We all know too many people who have been touched by cancer; survivors, fighters, and the angels watching over us. Sarah and I have been touched by so many people's stories as we've been involved with this that our nightly prayer list to St. Peregrine keeps growing. As this list grows it is for these people that I am dedicating my ride - I'm going to do it for them, I'm going to do it strong, and I'm going to Ride for Life.

Keep praying!

1 comment:

  1. You are loved when you are strong - and you are loved when you are weak. It is great to see you write about your physical activity, but it is OK when you have to write about not feeling so well as was the case a couple of posts ago. AJ, you and Sarah are remarkable people and your spirit is a source of hope. Always with prayers.
    Fr John

    ReplyDelete