Bad News - we are finding out by being without heat since Monday evening. But hey, the temperature is still 58 degrees so its not too bad. I'm sure Sarah will be cuddled in a blanket sitting by the fireplace tonight, but we will be alright. The joys of owning a home. There was just one part that was needing to be replaced but when it's an expensive part and likely to just get you through the winter - might as well just deal with one more cold night and get a new furnace in the morning.
And it's at times like this that I'm really appreciative and thankful. I'm on a few different email listservs for cancer patients and one mother just wrote in asking for advice on what to do because her son in his transition to college had a gap in health insurance and now the insurance company is refusing to care for him because of a "pre-existing condition." Thankfully I work for a great company that not only offers great insurance but is very supportive of Sarah and I through this battle. Don't get me wrong, buying a furnace doesn't seem like fun and does put a dent in our checkbook, but the thought that we don't have medical bills piling up as I originally feared - we are managing.
It's raining and chilly outside, but there wasn't a massive earthquake here yesterday like there was in Haiti.
So why am I writing about this today? Well first of all I wanted to write a blog. Secondly and more importantly is to remind you to appreciate the little things in life. Appreciate who and what you have in your life. The worst part of my day wasn't finding out we should just have the furnace replaced - the worst part of my day was the look of disbelief on Mark the furnace-man's face when I wanted to know what the cost differences were so that I could discuss it with Sarah since we are being aware of our spending in case something goes bad with my treatment. He is a big burly man but the look of shock, disbelief, and sadness on his face hearing that I have cancer was the hardest part. "Really? Oh man. How old are you? You can't be that old, how can you be going through this?" Mark the furnace-man wasn't just a repair man today, he asked if there was anything he could do for us other than pray - I hope you continue to do the same. But also join your prayers with many others. Like I've said, I'm doing well with the strength of your prayers, so we also need to offer up enough prayers for those in Haiti, those looking for their families, those going through similar medical battles without cancer, and the many people struggling, including the prayer list that Sarah and I have that fortunately, but unfortunately continues to grow.
Keep praying!
AJ and Sarah ~ I have been reading your blog since it was shared with me by Barb P via your dad Jim. Yes I am one of your distant Yooper relatives...(Your dad and my dad were cousins)...anyway prayers continue to come your way. Regarding your furnace...make sure you check into federal tax credits and possibly WA state energy rebates. http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=tax_credits.tx_index
ReplyDeleteTake care
This is a great reminder. Your post brought tears to my eyes - I love your refreshing perspective. Continuing to pray for all of you...
ReplyDelete