Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Perspective

Now I don't want to go on a rant or anything because that gains nothing.  But I do want to give my 2 cents here.  It's all about perspective.  Now I would love to say that "people just need to relax and understand what is important in life," but just as a wonderful man, Tommy Ngo, would remind me when working with campers "everyone is at a different stage of their faith journey, man, so you just need to meet them where they are and go from there."  Tommy is very right.  But the challenging thing at times, is that I've been both blessed and challenged by my experiences over the past year.  Often times, this new perspective spills into the work portion of life.  Today was one of those days...

One of those days when the blood starts boiling, but then I even snap myself back into my new reality and just shrug my shoulders and chuckle.  Now I'm not saying that what I do for a living isn't important.  I'm not saying I don't like my job or that I don't think that CBRE provides a great value for Microsoft.  I'm not saying we should just go along with the status quo and never drive to be better as employees and a company.  However, I must say, "c'mon guys... there is a lot more to life than what butt is in what seat within which building.  Seriously, there is a lot more to life!"  Unfortunately, some people don't seem to see it that way.  They drive expectations as if we shouldn't take a break for lunch, shouldn't leave before 430, shouldn't be in after 730, and even make you feel like you are doing something wrong by taking vacation.  What we do matters, but it doesn't matter THAT much. 

I've had conversations about this with a good friend of mine who went through a similar diagnosis and battle as I have.  We've talked about how lucky we are that we've been cancer survivors and have a new, and I'd argue, a better perspective on life.  There are things in my personal life and my work life that I used to get really upset and bothered by in the past.  I'm not saying I don't anymore, but the frustration doesn't really last as long because I know that the stress is unnecessary, can cause health issues such as cancer, and really isn't useful.  If only everyone was on the same playing field and had the same perspective.  Then we would all work hard, but realize there is more to life than office space.  That would be too easy, though, and I'm always up for a challenge.  Therefore, I'll keep my perspective, I'll wait for the sun to be up high enough for me to safely bike into work, I'll work hard all day, and what doesn't get completed tomorrow... well I'm sure I can still finish it on Thursday.

Perspective is a valuable thing.  I have A LOT to learn as I grow in life, but I also see things through a new lens.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said, and so true! It's refreshing to hear this from someone else. Loving God and loving others is what matters in life, period. Thanks for sharing your perspective:)

    ReplyDelete