Ahhhhhh feel that nice brisk wind. Taste that fresh air. Hear the edge cutting into the snow and the music in the helmet. In fact, one song that came on was "It's a Great Day to be Alive" and that's just what it was.
Dad (Leopold) had seen that the conditions were going to be great this week/weekend and Stevens Pass opened up on Thursday morning so he went up Wednesday night. He was planning on heading home after some skiing on Saturday but I twisted his arm. Well actually it wasn't much of a twist, if you know him, you know "if it snowed on the moon [he'd] ski there too."
Last night I went up and we had some dinner and watched a movie. It was a really nice time to spend with him. We got up bright and early and headed to the Pass. The parking lot was packed, and there were a lot of people, but it wasn't overbearing. Especially in the afternoon with the wind blowing the way it was. We did a total of 20 runs including a fair bit on runs that really intimidate me, especially with deep snow. I just need to refine my skills a bit, but I can definitely tell why the Leopold family always talks about the wonders of deep powder.
Doc says that aerobic exercise helps and let me tell you, tonight I'm going to sleep like a baby. I'm not sure if I'll be able to ski other times this winter (but that is partially ok since its $$$), but I wanted to cease the moment since God blessed us with such wonderful snow. Just being out in that fresh mountain air, with the beautiful sights (until the light went flat from the blizzard), really made me feel healthier than ever. Natural remedies!!
The only part of the day that I didn't like was the drive home from the cabin. Typically whenever I am coming down from the mountains I would give the Big Guy (Grampa Dick) a call to let him know how beautiful it was. He always loved the mountains and just hearing the reports of how glorious they looked. I'm gonna miss doing that, but at least I still get to enjoy it with him in spirit. In fact, the last run of the day we went down Big Chief. Now grampa wasn't an indian, but he always wanted an indian blanket and he was definitely the chief of our family. That run felt really good and I did it for you Big Guy!
Keep praying!
No comments:
Post a Comment