Monday, November 30, 2009

Bald and Beautiful...

Well they tell me that this week is likely the week. As some of you know or have seen I've been cutting my hair shorter and shorter since being diagnosed. If I'm going to be bald it is going to be on my terms and my timeline, not some stupid cancer treatment's timeframe. I've been getting ready for it - using baby shampoo to keep my scalp nice and healthy and though it may not be as smooth as a baby's bottom, I really like baby shampoo.


As a little tangent, little babies have it made. Baby shampoo and a nice soft head... great. I've also come to really appreciate warm whole milk with honey. Try it.


Now where was I... oh, so the nurse says that typically in the 3rd week of treatment is when the hair starts to fall out. That's this week. They tell me my scalp will start to feel like a bunch of needles are pushing on it (have had that a little but think it was me psyching myself out). Once the hair starts to fall out it is all coming off. I just dont yet know if I want to stay ahead of it. If not, there is a chance I could still have some hair (short but some) for David and Ashton's wedding. That is 13 days away though so we will see.


I did shave my head one other time and Sarah told me to never do that again. But she is ready for it this time...and last time was at the end of the summer when I had a massively white head compared to the rest of my face. This time it should look a bit better. And I've been told its big, but at least a normal shaped head. But I'm not in this alone. I went online and looked to see if I could find a few other bald people to see what it will be like. Obviously there are a lot of athletes so I tried to stick with just the bald white guys - I mean... it's not like I can get a tan and look as good as Michael Jordan in the near future. Here are a few...



Cal Ripkin




Bruce Willis

Patrick Stewart

Andre Agassi



Now if you dont think that I could pull off the look like these guys, let me remind you that everything is in the frame reference. Do you really think I could look THAT bad?





1 comment:

  1. AJ - well, I always thought you had a nicely shaped head. Some years ago (more than twenty!) I spent a little time at a Buddhist community where all the monastics, both women and men, had shaved heads and I learned to appreciate the beauty of a bald head.

    I am awed by the faith and the positive spirit you show in your writings (Sarah too) - Oh, I am sure you guys have your days and your down times, but you focus on where ther is strength, where God is. Sometimes that strength is precisely where we are weak. So, thank you for your witness to faith. Oremus pro invicem.
    Fr John

    ReplyDelete