Tuesday, November 16, 2010

There is always something

Far too often Sarah and I feel like we are saying the same phrase (which I used to joke around was coined by her mom) "there is always something."  In the family we've used it to explain why it takes so long for people to get together - work, school, travel, our own homes, pets, and now babies - and Sarah and I feel like we are always saying it in reference to various bills.  "Well this month the credit card was higher than normal because of car insurance."  "We are going to decrease spending this month because last month we had flights to pay for." 

Well I'd love to say that those become fewer and far between, however, I'm now understanding why my dad responded the way he did when I was growing up, he'd get home from work and the first thing out of my mouth "want to go out side and play basketball?"  "will you start my go-kart?" "Dad, Chrissy is cheating on Mario Brothers again."  Dad would most often comply to my wishes (unless Chrissy and I were fighting over the Nintendo), but he would also have slight grumbles from time to time because there were "projects that needed to get done." 

You own the house - how are there always all these projects?  Little did I know...

There is literally always something!!  There is ALWAYS something that needs to be done around the house.  There will forever be some yard work that could be done if we wanted - weeding, trimming trees/bushes, small landscaping, weeding, pruning roses, weeding, mowing, probably some weeding.  Then there are the "somethings" that pop up unexpectedly.  Like when we realized that Gabriella's room wasn't getting any heat, had the heating guys come out and had to get the duct work in the crawl space redone since it was so inefficiently constructed.  Then, a week later driving home to my girls, BANG! - something hit my window (must have been from southbound traffic since I was only going 15mph) and shattered the center of my windshield. 

So let me tell you how pleased I was this Sunday when my car was dead.  Took it to the shop, took the bike to work in the rain (great way to find out the importance of fenders), and it was a bad alternator... thankfully it was still under warranty from 3 months ago so that was no charge. 

And when you are paying all these bills it makes it a lot easier to get home from work and say "there are projects to do."  And I have a benefit over my dad.  Yes, he did have his dad and the Big Guy to call and ask for advice, but I have him to call, Sarah's dad to call, AND a great thing called Google.  Mr. Google was very generous in explaining to me how to take apart what I needed of the dryer so that I could reinstall one of the fins that came undone from the drum. 

Now that those things were done it was time to relax... nope, had some adjustments to my rear derailleur of my aluminum bike.  Oh, and the dishes didn't get done after dinner since we were helping sick little Gabriella (see below). 

There is always something...

No comments:

Post a Comment