Saturday, February 12, 2011

Riding Tunes

There are many people who believe that you should never listen to music while riding.  In fact, it is the prevailing  standard within group rides and organized events that riders must not have earbuds in during the ride.  The thought is that with music you wont hear cars coming, directives/warnings provided by the other riders, etc.  The alternative thoughts are that the music actually helps hear traffic and makes you more alert because it pushes the wind around the earbud - therefore decreasing the wind noise.

For me, I listen to music when I'm riding by myself and when I have others with me, I dont.  My thought is that with others, I want to be able to call out and hear their call outs (i.e. rider up/back, slowing, stopping, etc.)  Also, you want to be able to enjoy their company and conversation.

But when I ride, I have a cycling playlist on my iPhone (and I'm also able to answer calls in case someone needs to get ahold of me on a long ride), and currently there are 121 songs.  Of all of the songs that I ride to, I have my favorites.  Today while I was out, 2 of my favorites came on.

During pretty much any portion of a ride, I love it when the song Rainbow Weather by Emily Leopold comes on.  Yes, that name is familiar, it is the song that Emily wrote for Sarah and I as a reflection on our experience and the rainbow that was ahead of us.  I love thinking of our experience and that song is just added motivation to just keep riding.

When I'm on a flat or a gradual climb and just like the added motivation, Clocks by Coldplay is another favorite.  Great song with a great beat to go along with a strong cadence.  And it's Coldplay - you can't ever go wrong.

On any long steep climb, I love it when Inna Gadda Divida by Iron Butterfly comes on.  One time it came on at the bottom of a climb and by the time I was starting to go anaerobic the drum solo came on.  It as PERFECT.

Here's to hoping the rain isn't around too long so I can ride a bit this week.

LIVESTRONG

No comments:

Post a Comment