Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Excuse This House

There is a poem that my mom always had on the wall of our home growing up that I always knew/hoped would someday be on the walls of the home I would someday make with my husband and children...

"Excuse This House"

Some houses try to hide the fact
that children shelter there-
Ours boasts of it quite openly,
the signs are everywhere.
For smears are on the windows,
little smudges on the doors;
I should apologize I guess for toys
strewn on the floor.
But I sat down with the children
and we played and laughed and read;
and if the doorbell doesn't shine,
their eyes will shine instead.
For when at times I'm forced to choose
the one job or the other;
I want to be a housewife-
But first I'll be a mother.

...my mom did pass this down to me since she no longer has young children taking over her home. I have it displayed proudly on my downstairs hallway and was reflecting on it this morning as I walked by with Gabbie in my arms.

Before we got our golden retriever our house used to be spotless. Then Nikki would track in dirt and shed crazy amounts of dog hair. But I'd vacuum every other day and we'd stay on top of it as much a possible. No longer spotless, but not a disaster either. Then Gabriella was born and my priorities were no longer dusting and vacuuming and keeping the house as tidy as possible. I don't want to miss any smile or giggle. I want to play with her and engage her mind rather than just leave her to herself while I clean. Of course, I want the house to be clean enough that we all stay healthy and it's not a complete embarasment. But "when at times I'm forced to choose the one job or the other..."
Well, the decision is really quite easy.

2 comments:

  1. What a great poem - I love it!! I completely agree with your thinking, too. Much better to be a mother;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this poem. I should have posted this sooner, but I've actually been thinking about it a lot now that I'm adjusting to cleaning up after a puppy. I hope you don't mind if I make myself a copy for our home when kids join our family!

    ReplyDelete