As you have read quite often, Sarah has become one of the most crafty moms. Ok, there are quite a few people who could challenge her from the Bernsteins making Christmas dresses for the girls to the Porters with their zillions of eco-friendly ideas, but it is still awesome watching this transformation of Sarah. Her new concept is basically that there is always an easier, cost-saving, environmentally friendlier way to get things done - whether that be cloth diapers, making our own wipes, researching products alternatives for cleaning supplies, etc. Well one thing that I just love - especially when I get biking are Clif Bars. A while back we talked about and found a recipe for granola bars but never made them because we didn't have wheat germ (bought some yesterday so those are next on the list). Well I found two recipes for making homemade Clif bars using oats, rice crispies, fruit and nuts, nut butter, and I decided to find brown rice syrup instead of corn syrup.
I definitely have some refining of the recipe to do so that they are more like Clif bars than your standard chewy granola - not that its a bad thing, but want to get the best benefit from them. However, they are really good - and in the long run will be much less expensive than Clif Bars which can run $0.89 per bar.
I also found a recipe and made my first batch of Harissa hot sauce. I'm still debating running it through the food processor a bit more because it seems too thick to me, but we will get the recipe right after a time or 2.
Even better, I can pronounce every ingredient that I used!
LIVESTRONG and eat well!
You all are official DIYers. Can I introduce you to http://www.instructables.com. It is a good friend of mine.
ReplyDelete