With that speculation is also everyone's "know everything" and "what's best for Michigan" attitude. Jim Harbaugh wants to try his hand at the NFL - I say he is going to be successful, but will also struggle with having a GM pick his team instead of doing his own recruiting. Just today Les Miles (the likely #2) reported that he will be staying at LSU - no word on whether there was even an offer and some believe there wasn't and his recent NCAA regulation issues may have played into Dave Brandon's thoughts. Now, some reporters are saying that Michigan is moving onto what the media said would happen - Brady Hoke. In fact, the same plane that took Brandon to Baton Rouge is in-flight to So Cal (I wish I was as well - it's so freakin' cold here). Brady Hoke does not have an exclamation point of a record - in fact it isn't even a winning record. But he does have things going for him.
He turned around both the Ball State team and now the San Diego State team.
He knows how to work with the players that Michigan has as he gets the players he wants (big flaw of RR)
He knows Michigan football and the tradition
He isn't a "well-known" BCS coach
He LOVES the University of Michigan and isn't afraid to tell his boss that he'd sprint at an opportunity to coach
Did you read those last 2 points? He LOVES Michigan and he is NO a well-known celebrity-like BCS coach. That is right. But you don't need to be to coach Michigan. Harbaugh would have been great for Michigan but I think his ego is too much for Schembechler Hall right now. He know's he is a great coach and things were happening for him by walking into a room. Hoke on the other hand know's he is a great coach, he knows the Michigan community, he knows the Michigan football program, and he is an underdog who LOVES Michigan. Can I pound that into this blog any more?
He isn't just an underdog for this coaching role. He has been the type of underdog (patient and politely observing) that inside is scrappy as hell. He is salivating for this role. He is the dog that as he is sleeping his paws are twitching and you wonder "what is Rover dreaming about?" Well, this "Rover", Brade Hoke is dreaming about running up and down the sidelines in maize and blue. Rover is growling in his sleep because Hoke is dreaming of getting in the faces of his players and teaching them defense. Rover doesn't want to wake up, because if he wakes up his owner might want to pet him and ALL HOKE WANTS TO DO IS WIN AT MICHIGAN.
I'm not saying he will get the job. I think he will. If that plane is heading that direction to discuss coaching, right now Hoke is doing some yoga to temper his excitement while ramping up his aggression to dive head first into this role. Hoke will want to prove himself, want to bring back the winningest program to where it should be, and his passion will take him from being a coach from a little known skill to a coach with embers of Bo Schembechler under his feet just waiting for the gasoline to hit them. I believe he will erupt. I believe his drive to success - to Michigan success - will make him have at least the same record next year that RR had this year. Brady Hoke will be the type of coach, that even if he isn't told it, is going to look at this role the way that Tressel has looked at Ohio State, "what is the countdown to the big game?" And you want to know how he will get to that game? Brady Hoke is going to take that Michigan defense and offense, push them to improve each game so that in November they are ready for Ohio State and in the most competitive place to win Big Ten Championships.
It won't happen over night. My buddy Ford from the From the River blog told me that he is excited for Michigan getting a new coach. "The Big House isn't an intimidating place anymore. It will take 3 more years to get the new coach's players in which means more easy wins for Wisconsin." Now I'm not going to say that the Badgers better be scared in 2011, but I do believe they will need to be ready. And Brady Hoke won't allow it to take even 2 years.
Scrappy. Determined. Passionate. True Blue. And if named coach, I believe he will do a great job. Watch out sweater-vest. Remember when you left Youngstown and the passion you had? That same passion is coming at you next November. Next November 26 you are coming up to the Big House and Brady Hoke is going to have this team hungry for what Michigan fans are traditionally used to.
If named coach, I'll get behind Coach Hoke. He is the kind of underdog that wins the fight!
GO BLUE!
Go Blue! As I am reading your blog, Josh tells me that he was hired today! It's about time Michigan has a good leader in there!
ReplyDelete