Saturday, January 8, 2011

Choosing a high chair

Must say that I never thought there would be so many options for high chairs.  Actually, to be completely honest, I've never really liked the modern day high chairs.  Big, bulky, and overall just too much if you ask me.  Chrissy was really fortunate that when Cayden was little Grampa Dick made her a high chair.  I think it was useful for them.  However, there are options.

Believe it or not, there are a multitude of options.  Then again that shouldn't be a shock because in my experience weddings, babies, and Christmas are the most consumer driven experiences in your life.  A good friend of mine who I ride with, Patrick, had us stop by at one point so that we could take some clothes off their hands that their daughter outgrew, and their son obviously wouldnt be too happy looking back seeing the pictures of him in a pink dress!  While we were there I saw that they didn't have a "conventional" high chair.  It is a little bit more expensive, but it is a chair with a lot of advantages and can be used for years and years.

There are a few different designs and we decided to go with the Stoke Trip Trapp chair rather than the Keekaroo.


The chair has a 5 point harness and also a separate "infant holder" that you can buy, but I'm not sure if we will need it based on what I've been told about them.  Both the seat and the foot rest adjust to grow with the baby/child.  The main benefit of it, is that it doesn't have a separate tray.  "What are you thinking?  Good luck cleaning up those messes!"  Oh I can hear the comments already.  Rather than a tray, the chair (and the child) sit right with you at the table.  There are little placemats that you can get to help the messes from hitting the floors, but I'm also a realist and know that when Gabs starts feeding herself it won't be the neatest.  

But really, think about it.  If you were invited to someones house for dinner, they prepared the table and then set you up, just to the side, with a TV tray or separate table, how would you feel?  Would you feel connected and engaged in their conversation?  This high chair will allow Gabbie to always be right there, eating at the same table that mom and dad are sitting.

It's worked for others and they've loved it so I expect it will do just the same for us.  And we will say "thank you Grammie and Grampa for the Christmas money so we could get this.

1 comment:

  1. We've had Sim up at the table for a long time, and I really do like that there's not a separate and completely bulky plastic piece of furniture around. Certain foods make bigger messes, but you're going to have to clean anyway. The only downside is that, if I want to feed him something while he's watching me in the kitchen as I cook dinner (rather than up at the table), there's not a terribly convenient way to do that, but I'm sure there must be a way around that. Sim's old enough that we can give him a little bowl with something, but I'd have to think about what to do with a younger baby...We may just go for one of these for the newest member, due in August! :)

    ReplyDelete