Here I am at work - I have an article that I need to write but for some reason I just can't get the motivation to write it. Probably because I'm not a fan of the content, nor am I excited about it. Instead I decided to catch up on some blogs of some friends which was good reading. Whether it be Andy Miller always ranting about something and wishing he was more saintly, the explorations of being a married couple driving truck (keep driving safe Ben and Deb), or still awaiting pictures at From the River. One thing I noticed was that on each of these blogs there are a few entries that are resourceful, but let's be practical - pretty much just some ramblings too. So as I'm not motivated to actually do some work, nor am I ready to leave, I've decided to just pull together some random thought. Some things I love and things that really grind my gears (usually has to do with money since it prevents me from the things I love).
Bibs. That is right.. Top of the list today are bibs. No this isn't me jumping into the excitement of fatherhood and unless you have gotten into cycling at all you won't have much of a thought behind this. So let's start closer to square 1. Why do cyclists wear those tight shorts? Is it a cyclist's sex appeal. Well of course it comes down to aerodynamics and further extends to the fact that you dont want lose clothing potentially getting stuck in a spinning crank or spoke. But cycling shorts are more than just spandex, they've got the padded chamois to keep a smile on your bum after you've been sitting on a hard seat for miles and miles. Where do bibs come into all of this? Well just this past winter I decided to do some added research and take the plunge (since they cost more money). Bibs are shorts that dont have a waistband, but instead it is more of a one piece that essentially has suspenders. It fits better, you dont have to worry about your shorts migrating south and it just keeps a more uniform fit to your body. Its wonderful. Next year I'm going to have to upgrade my cycling pants to get some bibs too. Just the other day when I went on my ride I got back just to tell Sarah I'll never bike in shorts again. She didn't seem to care or be much of a barrier to it, but they are just so comfy. The grind on my gears... they can get pricey.
Seafood, shellfish, and marinades. I never thought I would be so passionate about it, and I'm no Iron Chef, but I really really enjoy cooking. In fact we have been debating getting a new grill (I'm sure our old one would suffice, but a new one would be preferred) because I really am getting excited to get back out and grill more - plus its healthier. But I've found in the last few years how much I love cooking, learning more about various cuisine, and watching cooking shows. I'm part Norweigen so naturally I love seafood. It is one of the easiest things to cook too... along with being healthier for you and easier for the body to digest. But sometime the price of seafood - especially shellfish can really grind my gears. The you get into the best ways of cooking it - especially when you look at some of the good wine marinades for some good shellfish and you end up just dumping all the marinade down the drain... it's like pouring your piggy bank right down the drain. But dont get me wrong, I still enjoy cooking. In fact I think the menu for tonight is some mahi mahi in a ginger, soy, honey marinade (part of the benefit, I'm going to cook down the marinade into a glaze afterward so we aren't wasting it). I'll either do some brown rice or quinoa on the side. Sarah would prefer the rice I'm sure because she isn't a big fan of quinoa. It's healthier though.
And those are some random ramblings from a sleepy Friday afternoon with little motivation :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment