Tuesday, March 9, 2010

LiveSTRONG Challenge Update

Hello to all!  Guess what?  In case you forgot I just thought that I would remind you that I'm in complete remission!  God bless me that is awesome.  Again, thank you so much for all of the prayers for healing, strength, peace, and comfort.  They are helping so much, but even though I'm in complete remission, I still have 3 more treatments and we still have a global battle against cancer and support to all those fighting day after day - so please please please continue to pray for this community, cause, and cure!

I wanted to post a little something about the LiveSTRONG Challenge that I'll be riding on June 20.  First and foremost I'd like to thank the many people that have donated to the cause.  Your generosity has been amazing, self-less, and inspiring.  As you may remember I had to raise a minimum of $250 to do the ride.  Being my first ride I thought I'd start out modestly with a goal of $300.  I should have known that your hearts were so much bigger than that.  So I got excited, worried at times that I was over-ambitious, but increased my goal to $1,000.  I've surpassed my goal and I am so thankful.  However, the ride isn't for another 3 months so I'm going to urge others as well to continue to consider supporting such a cause and awareness.  If I don't make my new goal, that is ok, but I want to keep pushing the awareness and fight until the day the good Lord takes me home.  Therefore, I've increased my goal again to $1,500.  If you have considered donating, I just ask that you continue to pray about it and hopefully you help support the Lance Armstrong Foundation - I'd be happy to ride on behalf of you and all those in your life that have been affected by cancer.

In terms of my other personal goals I'm still on the fence.  Like I said earlier, I signed up for the 45-mile ride because I didn't know how much me or my body would be able to handle.  Well a few weekends ago, I knew it might be rough or require a few breaks but since Sarah was gone at a baby-shower I decided to bike to Redmond and back - exactly 30 miles.  I felt great throughout the ride and even at the end.  Yes there was a little burn in my legs, but I almost always do since the last 3 miles of nearly any ride is an incline as I typically return via Hwy 9.  The next week I had treatment and then I was hoping to try and bike between 35 and 45 miles the following weekend.  Well, although we've been graced with a BEAUTIFUL, warmer than normal winter, we still live in the Seattle area and that weekend was filled with rain.  Hopefully in the next week or 2 (depending on treatment) I'll get out and try just the same thing (although I honestly haven't been on my bike in a good week and half).

So here is what I'm getting at with all of this.  For me the LiveSTRONG Challenge is a ride of pride, victory, awareness, and honor for all those still fighting and those that have fallen to this disease.  Some people have made comments that being my first year I should just stick to the 45 miles, even if I know I can do it with ease just so that I can enjoy the ride.  I guess I'm just proof that men are stubborn, bullheaded, and maybe even dumb.  But I dont want to "enjoy the ride."  Biking the challenge will be enjoyable for me, but I want to push myself.  I dont want to feel like I could run and dance around after I cross the finish.  I want to push myself to new levels.  I want to struggle a bit just like all of those that are fighting cancer.  I want to cross that finish line and be surprised with what I did, raise that bike above my head, and offer up my thanks for the ability to be able to do it.  Now dont get me wrong, that ability might only be the 45-miles.  But as the weather continues to stay warmer I want to transition from rides and base miles to training. 

What do you think?  45-miles or 70-miles.  Want to ride and train with me?  I'll continue to pray about it and continue to train.  I just hope I can make everyone proud.

Keep praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment