Saturday, September 1, 2012

I'd Make a Bad Monk...

After spending an entire day on my hands and knees I have a greater appreciation for those in the monastery.  I also will not be quitting my day job to become a professional flooring installer. However, I'm still really happy that we are doing this and it's coming together well. I shared with Sarah last night that when we first started talking about doing a project like this, I said to keep costs down I could do the demo.  In my head I was thinking "oh shoot, what did I get myself into.  Can I do the demo?"  Needless to say, I'm impressing myself and everything is coming together - and plumb too.  I got just about as much done today as I was hoping.  I really wanted to finish off the dining room, but I ran out of daylight for cutting.  It's all fun in flooring until you cut off a finger.  A few frustrations and challenges (cutting around doorways, ripping the wrong side of a board) but all in all it is going well.  That being said, I still have the demo and completion of the powder room.  Total I have about 400 square feet to go (846 total sf).  Of that some sections are going to go really fast, but others will be a pain (tight hallways, powder room).  Enough blabbing, here are some pictures for you...

Prep work and the beginning of install

Dishwasher was more hassle to pull out than working around it

Friday I finished demo and clean up - wanted to get a few rows complete to see what it would be like

With all of the in and out a few bugs got in.  Here is the fly's vantage point of the work

Daddy's little girl doesn't do justice.  This little one LOVES working along side me (sometimes fun, sometimes challenging)

Yes, this has been our dining table.  Don't judge, embrace your inner child

Measured it all out and with some minor adjustments everything was sitting at 52.385" from a straight reference point

Kitchen is coming together - DONT FORGET TO CUT THAT VENT

Awaiting the stove's return

Kitchen sink/island

Dining/Sitting Area coming together

No description necessary

Taping out a vent

Who's that hunk?  I feel like at this point some Men and Work "YMCA" should be playing in the background

Cut once

Measure twice... wrong picture sequence or fixing an error?!?!

Sink (we will likely need to redo all baseboards.  Ugh! But it will look nicer in the end)

Family room finishing up.  Last board needed a drilled hole for the satellite cable.

Sarah's creative photography or the previously mentioned fly in flight?!?

Cutting out the vent (thanks to my boss for this handy little Sonic Crafter Saw)

It's a useful little guy, but it takes a while

Half the living room complete (was a fear to get it going straight through to the kitchen, but it worked well!)

Completed kitchen.  Just need appliances and baseboards (later)

1 comment: