Okay, that is well-known, but I also felt it was the best way to start this blog. To start with a brief journey down memory lane, I got my first road bike shortly after Sarah and I got married. I always had a mountain bike when I lived in the Midwest (always ironic to think I did mountain biking in the flat states, moved to the mountains and focus on the road now!), so I planned to someday bring my GT out here. Therefore, I purchased a road bike with maybe 1/10th of the bike knowledge that I now have. I now do 98% of my maintenance and keep the bikes in great condition. However, the Redline has been not received much TLC, and because of it, I knew that to overhaul to my standards I'd put more into the bike than it was worth. Because of this I was planning to upgrade my "winter" bike on a closeout sale this spring.
After a little convincing, Sarah understood why, and I began searching. In my searching I always start dreaming of a Trek Madone 5 series or higher. One day she said "we should talk about it." WHAT!? REALLY?! Therefore I say this is all her fault because then I looked into upgrading my summer bike instead. Well long story short, I've added to the fleet - not with a Trek - but as I told her, I would be completely excited about the bike.
Now you may be asking yourself, "how is he getting so excited about upgrading the winter bike?" My plan was to get an aluminum frame with decent components. One night Sarah said "cycling is good for you and I want you to keep doing it. It keeps you healthy, it helps you decompress which makes you a better husband and daddy to us, it has become your preferred mode of commuting, so if you are going to get one, I want you to get another carbon fiber frame."
After all those sales pitches I gave her to get my first carbon frame, now she is saying "I want you get another carbon..." Awesome.
Welcome to the crew the 2011 Fuji Pro SL Limited Edition
This bike is a slight upgrade to my current nice bike. It is basically the same thing, a few years newer, and some better components; slightly lighter too. It actually works out perfect because since they are so interchangeable, I will likely use them more interchangeable than before, which will keep my focus to maintain both equally.
I wont get into all of the technical specs as that would be boring for most of you (if this hasn't been already), but the carbon is a step up from my Fuji Team and it is full Ultegra components (aside from the brake calipers which I might upgrade at some point). Since I had already made some upgrades to my Fuji Team, I compared the 2 bikes to do some mixing and matching and pull all the best onto one, but as such comparable bikes, it's not noticeable for most people. I've now made most modifications (though this week I need to take it in for them to cut down the steerer), and I'm still making some minor tweaks that I notice.
You're right, I have no idea what most of what you wrote is. But, congratulations on another bike!
ReplyDeleteYou will probably laugh at this, but Ben has been enjoying riding his cheap $80-from-Craigslist-mountain-bike on the Bismarck Trail System here in town. Often, when he comes back from his trek he makes mention of how awesome it is that you ride every day to and from work (and then some!). Keep up the good work!
how many in the fleet at this point?
ReplyDelete3 right now, but prepping the oldest one for sale.
Delete