With McKenzie Pass as my only gauge for performance, and I was really feeling burned out for the last mile of that, I wasn't sure how to set a goal. There are various categories for the ride. I was debating between the Recreational Fast and the Recreational group. Come to find out, I was technically sandbagging. My finish time was 1:42:07 at an average of 13.4mph. In fact, the climb was an average of 10.1mph and I still had some gas in the tank so I should have attacked on a few more of those switchbacks!!
Here are some shots that I took while I was climbing (I apologize if they look fuzzy or not centered, no time to use the view finder when you are trying to keep a good cadence on a climb... and by this point the camera was getting sweaty)
Up, up, and away (sorry for forgetting to zip up the jersey first)
Views getting more spectacular
Yes, you are actually seeing this!
Getting to higher elevation. This was about 7km out.
Previous shot but looking downhill (pretty impressive photography without looking)
Coming into Heather Meadows
Lake at Heather Meadows
The "Summit"
Proof I didn't drive up!!
Quick stop on the way down (40mph decent - other than the switchbacks)
This is the link to my Garmin data about the climb if you want to check out the specific route and the various stats.
Next up: Mount Rainier!!! (planning to take a day off of work for a fun ride)
LIVESTRONG
NIce ride brother! I may just have to join you on that one one of these years! Jeffie Likie...
ReplyDelete