Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Rough Night

Last night was a rough night.  Gabbie's cough kept her up quite a bit, Mommy and Daddy followed suit.  She was warm, she had a sore throat, she couldn't get comfy, her cough was consistently irritating her, especially right as it seemed like she would fall asleep just to be awaken not 5 minutes later.  Before we even settled into bed, I decided to bring her into our room so we could rub her forehead and try to soothe her.  Finally, she went down for a little bit.  She woke up a few times, but it wasn't until around 2 that it really hit her hard.  It seemed never-ending and there was nothing we could do.

Eventually Gabs was just so exhausted she just wanted to literally plop down anywhere.  It is definitely not a night of sleep I would prefer, nor is her sickness something I enjoy.  But in her exhaustion she rolled over, crawled over to me, and rolled right into me so that we were "spooning" together.  It was comforting for both of us to just snuggle, rub her forehead, and pray/sing in her ear.  However, she didn't stay settled for the night.  A little bit later, she got back up, crawled up onto me and just collapsed on my chest.  To help the congestion and her cough I knew she should be upright, so I "slept" propped up against the headboard.  On the outside it appeared that all I got from the night was a sore neck and circles under my eyes that haven't been so dark since the pale days of chemo.  However, being the comfort for Gabriella when she just wanted some rest from the exhaustion was worth it.

That being said, it is 8:07 and the next words out of my mouth are going to be "c'mon Nikki, let's go upstairs and go to bed."  Sarah and Gabriella are already up there - I'm just waiting for the wash cycle to finish on her diapers so I can switch it over.

Sweet dreams and dont forget to say your prayers

1 comment:

  1. I felt like I was reading about two of our nights last week..it's SO difficult not sleeping/having your baby sleep when they're sick! Poor Gabbie:( I'm sure she was very comforted by you guys though. I hope this past night was much more restful for all of you and that she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete