Today was an interesting day (as a side note, if you are looking for some inspirational or intellectually challenging literature - this post isn't for you!)
As I previously noted, Gabbie is feeling under the weather so Sarah called in sick from work. However, they weren't able to get a float request for her, so I actually left work shortly after noon so that she could get in for part of the day. However, originally I was planning to bike to work today (dont worry I'm not blaming my lack of riding on Gabs). The weather was supposed to be nice so I was ready for a nice ride, even if the roads were damp in the morning. I took Nikki for a walk first thing so that she wasn't full of energy for Sarah. It started to mist but it is no worries biking in that - it would be worth it. Upon getting home, I got on cycling gear on, went downstairs and it was raining. So now the challenge was "what bike do I take?" Went upstairs and decided that I have a "rainy weather bike" for this exact reason. "Stop being a wimp Andrew!!" Back upstairs to pack up my bag and then I figured I'd give my chain on my rainy bike a quick cleaning and add some lube to it. By the time I was back downstairs not only was it raining, but it was HAILING. I then returned upstairs yet again to just get dressed for the day, drove to work in the rain, hail and maybe a few snowflakes, and by the time I was in Redmond the sun was peaking out. Gotta love that convergence zone we live in.
Then again, on the drive in I was both entertained as well as enraged. On the radio they were having a debate about Easter - specifically Easter Egg Hunts. Some elementary school in Seattle is not allowing them due to the lack of "political correctness." Instead the teachers are allowed to have Colored Sphere Hunts. This evolved into a huge debate over the separation of Church and State which in the United States is one of the most misunderstood things (in my political opinion). I called in but they were moving on from the conversation by the time I got through (maybe if the hail would have started earlier I would have been in the car sooner). Then I was thinking about it, I almost wonder if it is better in our "lack of religion" world that these debates are happening. I began thinking of when Lance and TRS wore the black "Team 28" jerseys on the last day of the TdF. They were not pre-approved to wear them and the controversy that ensued, I believe, brought more attention to their initial intention of wearing the jerseys. Perhaps, all of the talk of political correctness about Easter, Christmas, and other holidays is good because it at least gets people on the news, radio, and workplace talking about the celebrations.
I told you these were random ramblings!!
No comments:
Post a Comment