Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bedtime Routine

It won't surprise you at all that Gabbie has pretty much settled into her bedtime.  Typically she has a good nap in the morning, the afternoon is more of a battle and then we can definitely see that she is getting sleepy by about 6:50.  We start her bedtime routine shortly after 7 and she is in bed by 7:30 - all snuggled in, full tummy, prayers said, and love from mommy and daddy.

Sarah and I have also realized that since Gabriella was born we go to bed earlier than normal.  We used to be up until 11, but now the only time we are up at 11 is when I fall asleep on the couch and Sarah can't get me to go upstairs.

The routine that is most interesting and has just recently been established is Nikki.  Think I'm joking?!  I'm not.  9:30 and like a good girl she puts herself to bed.  Typically we have to get her outside one time after dinner and then she is good until the morning.  On Sunday evening, I'm not sure why because we even had gone to the dog park, Nikki was feeling a bit neglected - or so it seemed from her sad face.  Sarah and I were watching TV, Gabs was tucked in, and I looked and then said to Sarah, "where did Nikki go?  Did she go upstairs?"  Now last week, one night we heard Nikki go upstairs, walk into our bathroom, into our bedroom and then we could hear what sounded like her jumping on the bed (we seriously need to get it on video - hilarious goofy dog).

Monday night, we were watching TV, and shortly after 9 Nikki went upstairs.  Now Monday I know that she was feeling neglected because I got home late, Sarah got home late, we fed Gabs, fed us, and there really was no time to play with Nikki.  But I wanted to give her some attention, so I went upstairs, carried her down to the couch and we snuggled.  She loved every bit of that.

Last night we went to dinner with Mark and Maria, got home, got Gabbie to bed, Nikki some food and outside, Nikki came up on the couch and then promptly at 9:30, got off the couch, ran up the stairs, and at 10 when Sarah and I went to bed, sure enough, Nikki was sleeping on Sarah's pillow.  I even got a groan when I turned on the light with the "dad I'm sleeping" look.

3 nights in a row and some sporadic activity last week, I'd say it's fair to say that Nikki wants her beauty sleep and 9:30 is bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment