Thursday, September 9, 2010

Parenting, Promotion, and Pathetic Weather

It seems like it has been a long time since I had a chance to write a blog.  I would like to think that I have some good excuses.  Gabriella is a bit of a time commitment :-).  One of our nurses told us at one of our last appointments before August 7 that we shouldnt plan on "getting projects done" during maternity leave because really it's a 4th trimester.  It really is true.  Now dont get me wrong, knock on wood, Gabriella is a really good baby.  She gets up once or twice a night and then is completely content until she wakes up at 530 wanting to snuggle (and who would complain about that?).  I really love parenting.  There are times I wish I had more sleep.  There are times I wish we could sit down and still enjoy a dinner with conversation again rather than a choppy meal focused on bouncing Gabbie or dancing around to keep her calm.  But all positive far outweigh any negative about fatherhood.  Some people say "oo, you get stuck with the diapers," but I'd be lying if I didn't admit loving the first dirty diaper after I get home from work.  It's a great time to get some one-on-one time with my little girl.  Ask her how her day was, clean her up, and give her a good snuggle.  The same is true about cleaning her cloth diapers.  That is right, you first have to give a pre-wash which is most effectively done by hand.  It's nice to know that I may not be able to provide food for her, but there are very tangible things that I need to do to provide for her and keep her safe.  We are learning, but I love every bit of it.

The last blog posted was from Sarah about my promotion.  It was in many ways a long time coming (with some frustrations as well as humorous side comedy in the midst), but I feel it was well deserved and a great new challenge that I'm up against.  My primary focus in the immediate term is a program that has a very specific impact to the key performance indicators (KPIs) of our team.  It has the potential of really optimizing the 52k seat portfolio in the Puget Sound.  However, since it is a new, evolving program, and one that really needs to catch up with its schedule (currently 2 months behind) it really requires some aggressive work.  Therefore, I've been typically going into work early, working through lunch, and staying later than normal.  Once you've read how much I love parenting, you can probably gather that it is a difficult thing to do.  I would much rather be home with my girls many times, but we will get to a better balance once I get my feet beneath me. 

I guess it could be good news, but I refuse to look at it that way... the weather is turning pathetic far too early.  Already I have heard predictions that winter is supposed to be a cold, wet, and long one.  That doesn't make it any fun as a cyclist.  The days when the weather has a happy sun on my phone are getting fewer and farther between.  Because I like being home with the girls it can be a challenge to find some time to get out and ride for leisure.  Therefore, I'm really trying to take advantage of commuting to work on the non-rainy days.  I dont mind getting caught in the rain, but seeking it out isn't the most fun - or good on the wear and tear on my bike.  I can guarantee you this, though, one friend asked if I was getting ready to "hang up my bike for the year".  Now my bike gets hung up in the garage after each ride, but no way is it staying there for any permanent time.  In fact, I hope to use my rollers more this year than last since I wont need the "chemo breaks" from it this winter.  There is validity in the lack of fun/variety that comes with riding in the garage (sights dont change much), but there is no reason to stop riding.  My next challenge, which I really need to get on soon is learning to start and stop on my rollers without relying on the wall.  Why on earth would you want to do that?  Well for one, I shouldn't have to rely on the wall in the first place.  But more importantly October 2nd is Livestrong Day and in Seattle myself and some other guys are getting together to ride downtown in front of a high traffic building.  It will be much more fun, and impressive, if I can be on my rollers.  We will be celebrating a day early, and all are welcome.  But at the minimum, please at least wear yellow and support the fight. 

Ride on...

No comments:

Post a Comment