So let me give a preemptive warning that this may not be the most exciting post. Personally, I think it should be one of the most exciting and informative, but I realize that not everyone has the same disease/obsession that I have - it's a healthy one though....at least that is my justification.
I'm not sure how to look at this whole situation. First of all I do need to thank Sarah and give her credit because she is a very supportive bride. Now she says that she just "had to eventually give in" and Merry Christmas, Happy Easter, Happy Birthday, and Happy Anniversary to me. I, on the other hand, am not expecting anything from her for Christmas because she should just focus on Gabriella, but I would like to say Happy Cancerversary!! (just a month and a half ahead of time)
I wish I could tell you all of the specific specs on my aluminum Redline, but it really wasn't really worth knowing. However, I can tell you about (drum roll please) what it's like to ride a carbon fiber bike. She's a beautiful ride and the last 2 days I've been making some minor modifications to get the best fit on it. Its feeling more and more like it fits like a glove. Minor tick on the right downward push I need to localize (or may just take it in quick) but it is night and day compared to my aluminum frame.
With the stock wheelset which I plan to stick with for at least 1-2 years it weighs in at 17.8 lbs. Add to that 52 grams for my 2 bottle holders, another 55 grams for my pump, can't be more than 80 grams collectively for the cyclocomputer, and who knows how much weight is in the saddle bag (2 tire irons, C02 cartidge, lightweight tube, and 8 pc tool. Moral of the story - its LIGHT. Light and stiff. It is night and day in terms of responsiveness, you can feel the added transfer of energy through the stays, the 105 gruppo is a great set and shifting is quick and reactionary. The seat doesn't have a cut-out like the one I upgraded to on my aluminum, but I've decided not to switch it out since the other is a "carbon" seat, but with metal structure.
Eventually I would like to upgrade the wheelset (1 lb reduction in the wheelset is equivalent to 3 lb reduction in frame), switchout the handlebars, upgrade to Ultegra SPD pedals, and maybe see if I can find a carbon seatpost on craigslist. But that will come in time. The change from aluminum to carbon was so drastic in itself that I'm already much happier. It doesn't feel like you are riding a bike... it feels like you are just riding - cruising effortlessly, quietly, smoothly down the road.
For the vain people who are focused only on looks (hehe) its the '09 Fuji Team model - Blue and White artwork.
It is a 20 speed with a compact double crank. That means that the large chainring has 50 teeth and 34 on the small. This provides a greater range for all needs and is a benefit over the standard double and more efficient than a triple (also known as a "non-cyclist" set-up). In 09 Fuji upgraded the cassette from a 12-25 range to 11-25. So far so good on that front. Next time I ride to work I'd like to take Paradise Lake home so I've got some more climbing, but I was on the big chainring the whole way up Hwy 9 today. Nothing to complain about there.
It's a nice ride!! And its a family vehicle :-). You say I need some justification to call it that. Well - it's lighter and more responsive so I can get home to my girls quicker now!
LIVESTRONG!
No comments:
Post a Comment