I've heard it before. 'looking back on the experience, getting cancer was one of the best things that ever happened to me.'. What? Really? How? In his book It's Not About the Bike, Lance wrote about getting letters of encouragement from peoplemwho would make similar statements to help him through. But what do you mean? How could it be a good thing?
I was just asked this question based on a comment I made to a coworker just the other day. Now I'm not even 3 months removed from my last chemo so I'm not sure I can truly analyze and reflect on it, but I do have a glimpse into the world of positive things that can come from what can seem (and at times can feel like) a Satan-filled soul sucking disease.
I'm only 27 so really, what do I know of the best of life. I'm sure things will continue to get better, but I feel I have a perspective on life that many others don't.
This past year has taught me more about life than anything. And along with that comes challenges and a first reflection on the 'good' that has come from my diagnosis nearly 9 months ago. I'll start with the basics:
You are what you eat. It's true. Why are more and more people my age and younger getting such news from the doctor? The FDA and govt sometimes focuses more on greed than the lives we live. So much crap is in our worldmand it's beating us up from the inside out. We need to be more diligent about what goes in our mouths and... AND we need to exercise. I have another 15 pounds to drop at least but I feel the best physically than I have since the early years of college.
But it has done far more than that. Relationships are everything - and I'm not just talking about family and friends. I'm talking about everyone. Harden not your heart. A famous guy said that once - well at least it was inferred when Christ spoke. But really, I feel so much more at peace with myself, my life, the good things I've done, the times I've come up short, and know more now about how to love. Grudges dont impact the other person. If you hate someone, you are the one that holds the pain. If you love someone, let them know. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Before I was diagnosed I would look at some of the people who I came across in my life, and if I related them to a time that I wasn't proud of or happy with, I placed the blame on them. Ex-girlfriends that I wasn't proud of after the fact, so I seemed to never care about. But what did that do? Nothing more than create a hollow spot on my heart where I was harboring ill feelings. Since my diagnosis I've found more friends, reconciled differences with past friends, and have a sense of relaxation that I didn't have before. I have a passion inside me that burns warmer than any passion has before. It's a lot easier to live each day to the fullest. That isn't to say that I dont have bad days or aren't grumpy at times, but each day is a gift - both for me and for those who I share it with through interactions, conversations, or even postings.
I love Sarah more than ever. I love our little baby more than I thought was possible before ever meeting him/her. I have a happiness about me, and I have a happiness in the form of 4 furry little paws that meet me with a wagging tail to say "I missed you".
I've been through some of the fires, I hope to not go through them again - but if it's the will of God I will. And through those fires I feel I've become a better person. I am a different person than I was 9 months ago, and I like who I am today better than I was then. Cancer sucks. Cancer is a battle. Cancer needs to be conquered. But cancer also means love and community.
No comments:
Post a Comment