These are just a few words that come to mind as I've been reflecting on the last few days especially, but also the past months since I set off with the goal to ride at least the 45-mile ride for the Livestrong Challenge. Filled with cancer, drained with chemo, recovering/surviving through a weak immune system, and on low energy I didn't know what me, my spirits, my brain, or my body would be able to handle.
As some of you may remember my initial goal was $500 (I needed a minimum of $250 to ride). Call them sympathy votes, reactionary love, or hopefully just overall support. After quickly reaching I decided with 5 months to go I should try and raise $1500. That came and went thanks in part to Jesson for urging others to get me past my goal and being willing to match donations to get me there. Again, with another 3 months, I thought I'd put it at $3,000 and just see what people would do. Now I will admit that I got very very gitty when I was making it toward $2,500 so I decided to push people to see what they could do. After surpassing that, looking toward $3,000 seemed fun. Thank you very much to those that gave the final push, and especially to Scott Ghedine (fellow cancer survivor on the east coast) who, without knowing me other than to check up on me through treatment, offered his generosity to pick up the difference.
You can still donate if you'd like (no charity ever declines money - especially when fighting such a nasty disease). I'm simply overwhelmed by the caring support and love and the generous hearts of so many people. Some people gave quite a bit, and others who have been more effected by the down economy gave as much (maybe even more) than they even could. You all have no idea how many people you have helped. LAF provides so much to people battling cancer (both during and throughout your survival life). The funds of this event (over $600,000 total so far) really helps to advance the overall goal of eradicating cancer, and the support to those who need it most.
Here are some general stats to date (c'mon folks you know I'm an analyst):
- 61 total donors
- $3,020 raised
- $49.51 average donation given
- $43.14 per mile (for the 70-mile ride; $30.20 on the 100-mile - will probably stick to the 70)
- 4 individuals who gave, and came back to offer more
- Alex
- Mom and Dad Stein
- Mom and Dad Leopold
- Dane
- Adams Family
- Jesson Mata
- Jill
- M&M Vega
- Scott
Again, thank you so much for all of your love, generosity, support, and caring hearts. One great thing that cancer and treatment has shown me is that people are inherently good - the media just doesn't show it.
Ride to Live!!
No comments:
Post a Comment