Thursday, May 13, 2010

On the up and up update

It has been just a little while since I last posted on here.  I bet you thought I was healthy and gone for good.  Well that's just not the case.  If you are still interested...great.  If you feel obligated to catch up with how things are going around here...well poor you since now the blogs continue - just less chemo and more normal life, and let's be honest, Pip will be all over this thing soon.

I thought I'd give a little update on things.  Pulmonary Function Test - done.  Port/Starboard - out.  In fact they went in on the same incision spot so I just have the one scar.  And they did a really good job too.  The port came out really well but it was a bit of a challenge because apparently my body did a great job healing and had adhered to the port.  Just a few extra cuts to break it away.  Now life continues as "normal" with work, prep for Pip, home life, house/yardwork (especially since the grass is growing like crazy - still needs some TLC in spots but its getting better for Sarah), and fitness (I'd say cycling but I'm trying to get into running a bit more too as a secondary/cross training activity). 

Last Saturday I did my longest ride ever so far.  45 miles.  I did 30 of them with Claire which then I do a more moderate pace and then the final 15 was getting to and from the house from where we meet up at the park.  The full 45 miles I did in 3 hours 3 minutes and some odd seconds.  Not too shabby I must say.  My legs felt great butt (pun intended) the ole rumpus was definitely a bit sore for the last 10-12 miles.  I just couldnt find a comfortable position.  I'm wondering if some aerobars would help just for another position (and of course added speed and to work some added muscles), but they are at least $100 and I dont know if I can justify that yet (birthday present idea?!? it's coming up - shameless, I know).  I also think I want to invest in a fitness ball to do some added work on my core and overall balance.  I've read up a fair bit on them and they are supposed to be really good.

Everything on the homefront is going well (although I must confess that we haven't even gotten out the vacuum since the party and we need to do some housekeeping).  Sarah is.. well I can say this since she is pregnant... popping out like crazy.  In the last week it seems like her tummy has gotten much bigger (though it was really looking bigger already).  We are even going to pick up a changing table tomorrow and then the nursery will be pretty much set.  I've got the garden framed and about 2/3 filled with some of the better compost dirt from the back.  Then we are going to start small this year since I'm already in charge of a fair bit of the rest of the landscaping (when Sarah is up to it and Nikki lets her she helps with the weeding - really need to get out for that soon too), and we are new to gardening and... it's fair to say that we have a busy summer ahead of us.  I think we will start with some onions, zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, and maybe carrots.  Sarah has also been excited to get some other decorating on the inside of the house done.

So how is the "done with the 'C' word been treating you in life?" That's a good question and it's funny you ask.  I've been trying to reflect on it a bit myself as well.  Actually A LOT of different thoughts, emotions, reflections, and "what now"s going on in my head.  Many of which I've never let out.  But today I was kind of put on the spot a bit.  One thing that I feel we've done, and I want to continue to do is be an open book about this and hopefully help others.  In fact, just the other day, Dr. Chen emailed me wondering if I'd be willing to talk to others newly diagnosed with Hodgkin's - especially younger people.  Of course I would be willing to do that.  If my experience can help even a little bit, answer some questions, or just provide the patient with another person to pray for them - I'd be honored to help.  But today at work, I was talking with a co-worker who said she always wanted to treat me normal, but also often wanted to see how I was doing or learn more about my experience but didn't know how to go about doing that.  I still don't really know why, but she was another person that said just knowing what I had to go through and seeing me in the office or on my bike was an inspiration and I'm her "hero".  It's cool to know, but I did what I had to do.  That's another discussion for another day.  One thing she asked and kind of put me on the spot was "what was the main thing you learned from the experience?"  Believe it or not, but that is a hard question.  I really don't know, yet there are a lot of things that I learned.  The first main thing that came to my mind was that although it sounds cliche, I've learned to have a better appreciation for life.  I feel like I have  second chance.  I feel like, though I don't know what caused it and never will, I could have avoided it.  I really believe that we are what we eat and there are a lot of foods that we should avoid, foods and ingredients that although I'd love to say "from this point on I'm only going to eat organic, limit my meat consumption to only fish and occasionally chicken" but I still enjoy a good chocolate chip cookie, cheese, tortilla chips, and various things like that.  But I am more aware of my health, the food I eat, and I want to get more fit - boosts the immune system too.  I also feel extremely blessed by the experience.  Blessed and humbled by all of those that it has effected and I'm sure, if given the opportunity, it could touch others as well.  Look at all of the people the came to celebrate the other weekend. 

So the C word is still part of everyday life and conversation, but it is also really nice to be able to say that I have no imminent or planned reason to go to the doctor until mid-August - other than going to support Sarah and be with her through the rest of our pregnancy.

And if you've made it all the way through this blog - wow... props to you.  Now go do something more fun :-)

LIFE IS GOOD!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey buddy,
    I made it all the way through the blog. :-) One thing I would request for your blog in general is more pictures. Jo and I would love to see pictures of you, Sarah and the rest of the family. I think we should talk about us getting a video thing for our computer.
    Later,
    Lucas

    ReplyDelete