since either of us had posted anything and I had been thinking of posting but just haven't yet. So here I am and you may be asking yourself, "Self, what have they been up to?" That is presuming you want to know :-).
So what have we been up to? Well of course work, but you don't want to hear about all that. I'd say that we've been taking vacations, backpacking Europe, and trying new cuisine, but those posts won't come til next summer (maybe... foreshadowing?). Although we have been doing more Asian cuisine, especially Thai. I'd say yardwork, and we've been pulling some weeds and doing a little bit, but I actually went 1.5 months between mowing the lawn because it just wouldn't rain. I've been working up my cadence....
wait... cadence? oh you haven't heard about that.
I've been cycling a lot more lately. I remember the first day I got on the bike and it was rough going just 5 miles. Now I'm content doing some hills (within reason yet), and the last 2 times I've gotten back from 15 miles I've felt like I could keep going if I wanted. I'M GETTING BACK IN SHAPE. I always really enjoyed biking when I was in middle school and I'd ride 8 miles everyday to school as long as it wasn't raining and the temp was above 35 degrees (so in the Midwest that was about 2 weeks a year). I've also been saying to Sarah for probably 2 years now that I wish I was in better shape like back when I was in my early years of college - before my metabolism slowed down, which of course I didn't realize until it was 8 months and a few too many pints late. So after talking to some people who said it wasn't "as bad as expected", "is fine as long as you train", and "a lot of fun" I've decided I might be crazy but want a big goal in front of me. Next summer I hope to do the STP (Group Health's Seattle to Portland Ride). I'd like to continue training and get up to good 55-65 mile rides yet this fall, hope I don't lose too much over the winter and then start scheduled training in the spring.
It's been really fun. It is really relaxing and fun. I wish at times there was someone up here that I knew that I could ride with on a regular basis, I know it wouldn't be training, but I also wish we could get a bike for Sarah so we could just bike around the San Juans. Pretty soon I'm going to start doing more of the trails like the Centenial Trail or heading to Bothell and jumping on the Burke Gillman Trail.
So I dont have a name for my bike yet, but as I'm feeling more and more connected to it, I wouldn't be surprised if I have one soon. I've never been big on naming things like cars, but maybe the bike will be different :-).
Do you think I'm nuts for doing this? My mom is still trying to talk me out of it because she doesn't want anything to happen to her little baby and 204 miles is just WAY TOO LONG. But I'm going to do the 2 day ride... not that 100 miles a day justifies it all that much. I'm sure my bum will really let me know on day 2 that a second 100 miles really wasn't the best idea. But until then, I'm sure I'll keep you up to date!
No comments:
Post a Comment