Friday, June 19, 2009

We're living on the land...

Okay, maybe it isn't to that extent but I must say that there have been a few city slickers that have asked if we would need to "plow our fields" when I told them we have .51 acre of land. Don't worry I let them know it only takes 45 minutes with a push mower to "plow our fields." But I am really excited! We have a HUGE rhubarb plant. It brings back memories of mowing the lawn for Grandma and Grandpa Steinbrecher. They had a nice rhubarb plant that I'd always pull out a stalk as I was going by to munch on. Anyway...back to our yard. So the plant that we have is pretty big (I'll put up some pictures in the future). It is actually getting pretty red and from what I've been told, when its red, it's time to be harvested.

But what are we going to do with all that rhubarb?!

I've been doing some research and I'm actually really excited. I'm hoping to get some mason jars because I found some really good recipes for a few different kinds of rhubarb jam and also my parents tell me that rhubarb sauce on ice cream is really, really delicious. For the amount that we have, I'm sure we will even be able to share a few jars of jam.

On another note, we haven't posted anything in quite a while. We really love being in our home. Decorations and pictures are getting up on the walls, but there are still a few things that we just need to get put away. Maybe that is what I should go do right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment