Thursday, April 9, 2009

It brought tears to my eyes...

...just seeing her being served with such delicacy and humility.

Today began the Holiest of Holy masses in the Catholic faith - the Holy Triduum. Most people know this as Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday/Easter Vigil. What many Catholics and non-Catholics see as 3 distinct celebrations are actually one - the Triduum. Because of this there is no concluding rite nor recessional at the end of Holy Thursday, nor is there any introductory rite at Good Friday. Rather, the priests begin by entering the Church and prostrating themselves before the open tabernacle and covered crucifix. Again, there is no concluding rite and the Triduum mass officially ends at the Easter Vigil (the specifics are a bit confusing and debatable).

Anyway, back to where I started. So tonight we prayed with and sat with Christ as he did with the 12 celebrating the Last Supper. During this celebration, imitating as Christ did, the majority of Catholic Churches administer the Rite of the Washing of Feet. Sarah and I were asked to be among the 12 at Blessed Sacrament who had their feet washed. This is truly a humbling experience. As Fr. Daniel was approaching me, I couldn't help but wonder why I was there. Why not someone else? I'm not worthy of such a gesture. It was very peaceful and very powerful.

But what really hit me, was when Fr. Daniel as Persona Cristi moved on to wash the feet of Sarah. Such a magnificent and beautiful sight. Words can't do it justice, but here we have my radiant bride being served by the ultimate Bridegroom, Christ. I looked over and saw the utmost beauty - Sarah, my wife who has done so much for me, who constantly lives with Christ in mind, striving to make me more holy being truly sanctified. And it wasn't like a normal sanctification, but instead she had Christ, serving her through Daniel, knelt down in front of her, cleaning her feet. And with a kiss of her foot, he stood up, and went to serve the others among us. The Holiest knelt down, serving the holy. The most-powerful bridegroom of the church not just serving anyone, but serving my bride, the love of my life.

And again, I wonder why I was brought to such a place to receive such a service of Christ - humbling.

"If I, therefore, the master and the teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another's feet. I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do."

1 comment:

  1. You always amaze me and bring me to tears with how Christ like you are and how you use words that are just beautiful! It makes me miss you more and more everyday. Love you!

    ReplyDelete