Saturday, March 28, 2009

Searching for Home Sweet Home

If I were to take you back but 1.5 months ago Sarah and I would be joking around with what she referred to as Fall/Winter of "next year." *Inside joke not worth explaining* But now instead when you ask us what is new with life it of course will be coupled with "work is going well - really busy - but really well", "school is coming along, I'm excited for my senior practicum in the PICU/BICU at Harborview", "married life is wonderful", BUT it will now include statements like, "we found a really cute home that we are going to take a look at next week" or "we just met with a mortgage lender and we've been pre-approved for a home".

Interest rates are at a "historical low for our lifetime" - well for one I think that's funny since I'm only 25 and Sarah is 22, but when I do put my business hat on and look at "historical lows" - SHOOTDANG!!! these are some low interest rates. You can get rates as low as 4.5% these days and you can even find some builders or other ways to buy down that rate.

Sarah and I spent some time about 2 weeks reassessing our financial situation in relation to my job, the home inventory in the area, ridiculously low 30-year fixed rates, and some other "things". At that we realized - you know those homes that we were looking at last weekend online?, well we could buy one of those if we wanted. In fact, we can get more than that.

Then there is the question of how much home to get. This is the time that banks want us spending money but not spending foolishly (something I think was stupid since it was first mentioned). But Sarah and I have been intelligent and we haven't succumbed to the "times we live in" with regard to spend spend spend. In fact, some think we are too frugal and insist that a fun evening must include going out somewhere rather than card games at home with friends. Who knows, maybe that will change once we have an inviting home to welcome people into. (good luck finding a place to sit though as we dont have furniture).

We are looking at several homes that are in the Bothell, northern Kenmore, and southern Mill Creek area. Realistically speaking we can probably find a home that will at least work with us until 3 middle school kids and their friends are running around... or 4 or 5 - who knows how many God will bless us with. Nevertheless, they will have a place to call home. A place where I'll have a reason to buy a lawn mower, a place where together we can have a little garden of veggies and even a compost bin (things that Sarah and I have talked about really wanting). We dont know where it will be, but we are praying that God draws us to the place that He has built for us. At least thus far we know the general area, that it will have an open layout (hopefully), a decent size kitchen since that matters to us, likely 4 bedrooms, and a yard. The other details will be coming...and very well may be found in one of the MLS numbers that we sent to our Real Estate Agent.

THE HUNT IS ON!!!! Where is Home Sweet Home?

No comments:

Post a Comment