Wednesday, October 17, 2012

We are now boarding the plane to LIVESTRONG

That's right.  In 8 hours I fly out of SeaTac, through Dallas to Austin TX.  Why go to Austin?  Well for one, if you are going to go to Texas, the only place I would EVER want to go is Austin.  But I'm heading to Austin for the Livestrong Challenge and 15th Anniversary of the Lance Armstrong Foundation/LIVESTRONG.

So despite the news today regarding Lance Armstrong and various contracts, that is what my bike looks like (well zipped up with some added padding) - I'm committed to going.  I'm committed to LIVESTRONG.  You may or you may not want to keep your support toward the Foundation - that is your choice. Here is my reason...

If you met me today, you might assume that I've been wearing lycra for a better portion of my life.  Truth be told, I've always thought the Grand Tours (TdF, Giro d'Italia, etc.) were amazing feats of strength and endurance, but aside from catching a snippet here or there, I never dedicated the time to it.  In middle school, I rode my bike 8 miles each day that it was above 40 and not raining (in Upper Michigan that was surprisingly more than just 1 week).  However, I wasn't a "cyclist" until more recently.  Sarah and I got married, I missed riding a bike, purchased one, and rode - a little.  My first boss at CBRE was really into cycling and got the idea in my head to commute to work.  I started to - a few times.  As you can tell, none of my interest in cycling even suggests the name Lance Armstrong.  He is an amazing athlete.  I still believe he is the greatest cyclist of all time (no need to digress on that one now), but he is not my "hero", he is not the reason I ride a bike, his name in the news is not a reason I would stop referring to myself as a cyclist.

October 31st is an odd day for me.  I'm hoping in the next few years it becomes different as the girls get excited about costumes and trick-or-treating.  For now, October 31 is no longer Halloween.  Instead it is the day that 3 years ago, I was cutting red and green peppers to make chicken curry for my sister (who was visiting with my godson) and Sarah, and my cell phone rang.  Dr. Tobbeh called, apologized for calling late when I had visitors, but wanting to give me news as soon as possible.  "Is Sarah around?  Does your phone have speakerphone capabilities?" "She is around, but no, I think it will be easier if I just let her know later - do we have results?" "Andrew... you have cancer.  The results aren't complete yet, but it looks like 99% this is Hodgkin's Lymphoma."  That one sentence changed our lives so much that I can vividly live that conversation and the following evening in my head to a T.

When I was getting ready to start chemo, Dr. Chen mentioned that there were some recent studies finding a correlation between aerobic exercise and response to chemotherapy.  "Are you a runner?"  "Only when I get chased, I hate running!  But I have just recently started to bike more because I was so happy with the weight loss."  I left that office committed to riding my bike.  I invested in a pair of rollers so that I could bike in the garage through the winter.  I rode as much as I could.  I imagined cancer cells in front of my tire so that I could run them over one by one.  By the time I went in for my second cycle of ABVD the side effects caused by the tumors went away.  I dont know if it was really strong drugs, all the prayers, knowing that Sarah was suffering through this more than me, because I rode my bike the last few days, or a combination.  Either way, I wanted to keep going.  It made me feel normal - much more normal than laying on the couch wondering if the next time I had to go the bathroom if it would still be pink and burn or if my urine was back to a normal color.  I can also vividly remember sitting on the front step, looking at a star-filled sky, crying to God and my grandfathers after only having the strength to bike 2.6 miles.

It was well into my treatment that I came across LIVESTRONG.  I was looking for an organized ride to set as a goal for after treatment.  I came across the LIVESTRONG Challenge Seattle and Patrick Chatfield.  Through many emails, volunteer events, and a few beers, Patrick educated me on what the Lance Armstrong Foundation did. The focus of those conversations was on Survivorship, on how the LAF helped eradicate the term "cancer victim" and replace it with "cancer survivor."  I'm NOT a victim.  The LAF does so much good work for people who are impacted by cancer - patients and caregivers.  Too much to explain here.  The website goes into great detail on the programs, Navigation, clinical trials, political advocacy, etc.  But there is something else you will notice as you look through...

There is VERY little reference (outside of the founder's story) about Lance Armstrong the cyclist.  Yes, the evidence against Lance right now is significant.  I have always hoped that he would forever be innocent.  I now hope that he can come forward and come clean about a dirty time in cycling's history; then again, the past is the past and that cycling history isn't his focus anymore.  What drives him, what motivates him, is how to continue to make changes in the world of cancer survivors. To continue the work he set out to make the cancer journey easier than what he navigated back in the late 90s - and to help as many people as possible before they run out of time.

I don't support LIVESTRONG because of Lance.  Is there a connection between the organization, my love for cycling, and he as the world's greatest cyclist?  Yes there is.  But even if he were to completely go away, I hope more than anything that LIVESTRONG can continue to do the work it is doing.  And every day I can, I will continue to ride my bike.  I will continue to ride it because I love it.  I love the adrenaline rush.  I love how it has helped me regain my physical form.  I love that it gives me the aerobic exercise I love and makes me feel normal.  I love that I can, because I was not a victim - I am a survivor who will ride on!

This weekend I will ride in several events.  I will ride in celebration of what I have accomplished, for the joy I have in riding, for the support and advocacy of LIVESTRONG, and for those who dont have the strength to even go the 2.6 miles right now.  Amazing people like Gary Bonacker who made this trip possible.

I am a survivor, not a victim, and I will continue to live strong!!

No comments:

Post a Comment