- It's happening in many cities throughout the US
- It has cost the Seattle PD an additional $530,000 in overtime for officers who have had to deal with it
- People featured on the news have asked for Wall Street to pay for their college education "just because I think they should. I don't have a reason, I'm just out here because I think they should pay my tuition"
- Others have been (accuse me of being judgemental) unmotivated, unemployed individuals
- Others obviously also dont know why they are there, but it seems to be the "cool thing to be part of the 99%"
- I has something to do with corporate greed
Corporate greed - especially Wall Street and the oil companies (in my opinion) is bad. It is not fair. When the housing market crashed and those execs had huge layoffs at their company just to take in a 7-figure bonus, that is absolute BS. But on the flip side, the NBA players complaining that their multi-million dollar contracts aren't fair and therefore going into a lockout is BS too. The owners are just that - owners. They can do with their money as they please. That debate has been around since Biblical times (Matthew 20:1-16). But if you really want to protest economic greed, whining in the streets and expecting a handout isn't the way to get it either. Why would you deserve it because you haven't showered in a week while you've been camping in a park asking Wall Street to pay your mortgage and give you a handout, while I've been working my butt off and paying my own bills? If you want to make an impact get involved in government to influence change rather than costing more tax money by forcing police to work more. Mahatma Ghandi said "Be the change you want to see in the world." I don't think a respected genius would have said "Be the bump on a log to expect change to just happen." If you want to make an impact, get a job, save up money so that you can pay cash to buy that BMW you are driving. Can't afford that because of corporate greed pricing it at $50k? Then reflect on why you think you need a luxury automobile. Get a practical one instead. Work for the lifestyle you want to live. Don't assume the lifestyle will happen if it's outside of your means.
So that is my mini rant. Then I thought, well I should see what this is all about in case I'm misinformed. So I did some quick research about the Occupy Movement.
The Occupy movement is an international protest movement which is primarily directed against economic and social inequality.
The movement started in Kuala Lumpur. Really? This didn't even start ON Wall Street?
It was initiated by a Canadian Adbusters group. The Canadians started this? This Adbusters campaign was actually inspired by a Spanish movement called Arab Spring which called for a worldwide protest on Oct 15 (that is one way to get into Guiness Book of Records - largest protest award?)
The movement, which has been described as a "democratic awakening", is difficult to distill to a few demands. The structure is defined as performance by "working groups," composed of volunteers, with important decisions being taken at "General assemblies."
The more informed I get, the less inspired I get.
Then I went over to the Occupy Together website, which is unofficially supposed to be the official website to pull global groups together. Part of the FAQ shocked me. The Occupy Together group is "hope[s] to provide people with information about events that are organizing, ongoing, and building across the U.S. and world as we, the 99%, take action against the greed and corruption of the 1%." Sounds like they support it. But then it goes on to say "We are in no way representatives or spokespeople of Occupy Wall Street or the NYC General Assembly...we have no agenda...our political and social beliefs will remain neutral for this cause." So you have no affiliation, no opinion, no agenda? You just have the goal of pouring gasoline on a useless fire of lazy disorder?
The more informed I've become in the last 30 minutes, the more I go back to my original thoughts about the Occupy Movement. People complaining about corporate/government money not going to help others in the world, through a vehicle that causes excess waste and spending by corporations and government to control the unrest. Maybe I live too much of an analytical/process-driven life but that makes no sense.
Go home, take a shower, get a job, or get involved actively. There is nothing inspiring about being involved in a movement where the "leaders" don't even want to be associated with the movement. There is just no push for accountability for actions (or desired change) these days. Ultimately, I'm glad that we don't live in Seattle so we weren't stuck in the gridlock caused by idiots "Occupying" the Montlake and University bridges, and not letting traffic through.
IDIOTS!
Where is the LIKE button?! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteLIKE!
ReplyDeleteI agree that you are misinformed. Here is a perspective worth reading if you'd like to learn more about where some of the "99%" are coming from:
ReplyDelete"Does pride in what you’ve accomplish mean that you have contempt for anybody who can’t keep up with you? Does it mean that the single mother who can’t work on her feet longer than 50 hours a week doesn’t deserve a good life? Does it mean the older man who struggles with modern technology and can’t seem to keep up with the pace set by younger workers should just go throw himself off a cliff? ... Can you hold down four jobs? Can you do it when you’re 40? When you’re 50? When you’re 60? Can you do it with arthritis? Can you do it with one arm? Can you do it when you’re being treated for prostate cancer?"
We can have a reasonable standard for what level of work qualifies you for the American Dream, and work to build a society that realizes that dream, or we can chew each other to the bone in a nightmare of merciless competition and mutual contempt.
You can read the rest of the editorial here: http://bit.ly/sy2PVv
It's worth noting three more things: 1) we the taxpayers bailed out the banks. That's a handout if there ever was one, and they're increasing interest rates, adding fees, and paying themselves larger than ever bonuses. 2) The American Dream hasn't been so far out of the reach of so many people since the era of the Robber Barrons - wages are stagnant, the middle class is ceasing to exist, and corporations are not only NOT paying taxes, but they're getting billion dollar refunds (GE). People can't afford healthcare, and even when they have it, they're being refused coverage and sent into bankruptcy to pay for treatments. 3) These issues are those that we are bound by Christians to tackle - in fact, Jesus talks about money more than any other subject, and social justice is firmly established in the Catholic doctrine.
May your heart be filled with compassion for those with less as you look upon your family and see your blessings.
Stephanie:
ReplyDeleteThank you for the comment. I do appreciate it. As Sarah and I were talking, we do not disagree with the lack of balance in the world. In fact, one of the first things that I mentioned was the total BS of the taxpayer bailout to the banks and the 7-figure bonuses. That being said, in my opinion as an outsider, Occupy is a useless waste. Speaking of taxpayer bailouts, we are now responsible for an additional $600,000 in the police force budget here in Seattle at the same time that to balance the budget useless Gregoire just urged cuts from where?!?! EDUCATION. To add to it, the health department is being pulled into these "camps" due to the sanitary issues and the amount of needles/drugs found on location. These are examples of what I completely disagree with on the movement. In my opinion it has been going on for over a month in some areas and nothing has been accomplished. It is more of a burden than anything. The same workers that are struggling to make ends meet are now voicing their concerns that they could lose their job if sales from Black Friday aren't what they are budgeted since many shoppers will be heading to Bellevue after expressing concern for their safety in Westlake Park due to protesters. That is completely counter-productive. You are right, we have a moral obligation to improve the current state of the system - I don't believe this movement is getting us there.
Now that, I LIKE! I hope those of us who hold the ideals expressed in the movement's original declaration (found here: http://bit.ly/ppCCoK ) - in contrast to the "spoiled brats" characterized in the bullet points above - can find a productive way to initiate change.
ReplyDelete