Saturday, October 22, 2011

LIVESTRONG Challenge Austin



WHAT A WEEKEND!!  It would be silly to even think that I wouldn't have an incredible time in Austin with all of our LIVESTRONG friends and family, but just to verify anyone questioning it - WHAT A WEEKEND!!  It was so amazing.  All of the love, support, energy, great news on what the Foundation is up to, and all of the help that we provide was just amazing to hear about and experience.

As expected, Gabbie was a little angel on the airplane.  There were a few very minor moments, but she has been such a trooper in the 15 months of her life.  We have been flying an average of every 5 months.  Thankfully this trip didn't have any layovers, but it did have the added complexity of traveling with a huge bike box.  When we arrived we had a Super Shuttle scheduled for pick-up, but Amy, a volunteer for the weekend invited us onto the Ride for the Roses bus.  Cancel the shuttle and go with the LIVESTRONG bus?  Count me in.  Once we got to hotel, Mom and Dad were already there.  Oh, did I tell you that?  Mom and Dad came to see Gabbie but also to enjoy the weekend with us.  I know I could go on and on, but I really want some of the pictures and one of the videos to speak for the experience.  Instead I'll toss out some highlights and have a little reflection at the end.

Highlights:

  1. Being there!  The city of Austin is beautiful.  We made our way to Mellow Johnny's, mom and dad visited the capital and were on the field at UT before we got there.  And WOW, is it a bike friendly town!!  I was amazed all of the people even at 10pm that were commuting by bike.  Whether it was a fixie, hybrid, or retro road bike.
  2. 5k walk.  More to come on this in the reflection, but it was a wonderful way to start out our Saturday and really get Mom and Dad involved in the event.
  3. Fundraising appreciation dinner - delicious meal, great message from Doug Ulman (CEO of LAF), great message from Lance, and just a lot of excitement.
  4. The ride.  There was good and bad and hindsight is 20/20, but it was great.  I stuck with the field of pro's and development guys for the first 35 miles before waiting for Patrick and Michael.  I even rode side by side with Lance.
  5. Crossing the finish line to get my rose for each event (feel free to ask about the story behind the roses)
  6. Finish line festival including a few ice cold Michelob Ultras
  7. Guerros with my parents, Patrick and Michael

At the start of the 5k on Saturday

I love that Grammie and Grampa came to see me!!!

Start/Finish line

Walking comfortably after all the runners got in front of us. You can see East Austin in the distance.

Walking with my mommy.  She was really happy and impressed with everything but also brings back hard memories

The sign he has on his back says "I'm a Survivor - 5 Years!"  He looks about 6 or 7.  Prime reason to do what we do!!!

Just after we crossed the finish line where I received my rose

Gabbie met a little friend named Lilly when we were at Mellow Johnny's.  Lilly just finished her second round of chemo.  Now Gabbie has another friend to pray for.

Trying on LIVESTRONG hats at MJs.  I just LOVE this picture!

Out at Dripping Springs for the start.  The CCC team started at the front behind the pros/development/VIPs

Chris Horner was one of the guys from Team RadioShack who joined.  He was also at the Tour des Chutes after having to abandon the tour.  He is SUCH a nice, down to earth guy.  Mess with the bull you get the Horner!

Just as Lance was getting there to welcome and send us off.  These are the pros/development in front of us.

So glad that Mom and Dad were able to be there for the start.  Long wait, but I was really glad they were able to experience it from so close!!!

At the start about to head out.

Patrick's better side?!?! And I'm just coming into the frame.

Gabs and Grammie at the LIVESTRONG Village

Waiting for Daddy to come through

My friend Miss Rachel gave me a FIGHT LIKE HELL flag to proudly wave.  TAKE THAT CANCER!!!

Crossing the finish.  2 flats later I wasn't even interested in my time.  Reason to go back next year.

Ride for LIVESTRONG Seattle

Fam at the Mission Booth where people can post messages in Honor/Memory of, or just tell cancer how much we hate it!!!

Last night with Grammie and Grampa

There are tons of food trucks/trailers all over Austin.  We went to a Thai truck and I even got to enjoy a Mexican Coca Cola in a glass bottle


Ok so you didn't believe that I paced with Lance.  Well, this video sucks because of the speeds we were at and trying to keep him in the frame, but he is the one in the black.  Right after this I pulled him for a few miles before dropping back and had a quick chat with him.  Then at the 65/90 split they attacked the heck out of each other so he could get back for a flight to Hawaii where he is in a MTN race right now.


For me the weekend great as a whole, but I'd like to share something that was most powerful for me.  First I'd like to give some background to set the stage (and no I didn't ask if it was ok to share this part of the story).  As you all know cycling and LIVESTRONG have been a VERY important part of our lives.  My wardrobe transformed from maize and blue to primarily LIVESTRONG yellow and black.  When I finished chemo, my dad took off his LIVESTRONG band and never wore it since.  It was a reminder of his son being sick and he didn't like that. I can't fathom what that would be like as a parent and I can see how you'd want to suppress those memories, but still that always pulled at my heart.  LIVESTRONG is so much more than my cancer experience.  We are still involved for all of the people that are still struggling, who lost time, or who are yet to be diagnosed. As we were waiting for the start of the 5k they announced that at that point LSC Austin raised $2.4 million.  Dad turned to look at me, and said something to effect of "you mean all of these people here did THAT much?  These people have that much of a focus on LIVESTRONG?"  He then told me how proud he was of me.  The sun was coming over the Austin horizon at that time, but I could see the added glimmer in his eye - the connection was made.  Throughout the weekend it seemed like the transformation got stronger and stronger.  There are too many people to honor at an event like that: Grampa Dick, Grampa Joe, my godfather Gene, friends I know, and even a student that my sister once taught. LIVESTRONG is about the impact to those people.  Making their experience easier. Living out their legacy. Doing them justice by working hard to find the cure.  Remembering that we need to FIGHT LIKE HELL.

I'm not sure if it is still on his wrist, but when Mom and Dad left, Dad had the LIVESTRONG band on his wrist (mom did too of course) and he even bought a polo shirt to wear at work.

So why does this matter to me? My parents have been at my side (though from a distance) from the moment that I looked at the computer on Skype and just said "not the news we wanted, I'm officially a cancer patient now." And even though they made that journey with us, hear me talking about cycling and LIVESTRONG in nearly every conversation - it wasn't until they were there to experience LSC Austin that it completely clicked.   These events are incredible and words can't really explain them. You see little kids like the above pictures who are going through worse treatment than I did.  You see the lists and lists of "memories."  You see corporations meeting Lance at the beginning to provide a check for 1 million dollars to the foundation.  It is inspiring and amazing.  But unfortunately not everyone in their lifetime will make that journey to Austin, Philly, or Davis so now I'm inspired and challenged.  How can I do more so that everyone I interact with, everyone I ask to give a donation will know the true meaning, impact, and message of LIVESTRONG?

We are going to take just over a month off from fundraising and then we'll be right back at it in December.  I have some work to do but I'm going to push myself to set a goal of at least $10,000 to get us to the RFTRs.

I'd like to leave you with the last portion of Lance's talk on Saturday night speaking of the true mission we have in front of us.  I know this blog has been long, and it is 5 minutes long, but PLEASE take the time to watch it.


LIVESTRONG!!

No comments:

Post a Comment