Thursday, June 16, 2011

Flying Wheels Century

This past weekend was the Flying Wheels Summer Century based out of Redmond.  This is known in the area as the ride that kicks-off the summer.  The Chilly Hilly in February starts the season but fewer people do that ride (re-read the name for more info - hehe).  The ride was the first century that I've done (a century is a 100 mile ride, metric century is just over 50).  Depending on who you ask the ride was 98, 96, or 94 miles.  We each had a slightly different reading on our cyclocomputer.  Mine was in the middle, so I stick with that as my standard - although part of me wonders if Mike was most accurate with the Garmin and GPS.  Who knows.  Either way it constitutes a century.



The ride was great.  Overcast and low/mid-sixties for the majority of the ride.  I started out really, really strong.  Energy from those around me and just the excitement.  I dont think I burnt myself out, but it was definitely a pace that we couldnt sustain throughout the ride.  At one point I looked back and I was pulling a paceline of about 20 people.



Mile 32 through about 55 was rough.  I ended up with some of the worst stomach cramps ever on a bike.  I think it was because I wasn't feeling the best Thursday, probably pushed my stomach a bit too much Friday, and Saturday morning I had no desire to eat - little food for a long ride isn't a good combination.

To see what we did for the ride and some stats, here is the link to Mike's Garmin output: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/91703624

No comments:

Post a Comment