I wanted to take a minute to thank people. This is actually a dangerous thing to do and I know that I'm going to forget a few people and I guess there is a mix between hoping they dont read this blog and that they find some forgiveness in this Easter Season to forgive me :-). The list looks something like this - in no particular order:
- All of the many supporters who have offered up their prayers for healing, strength, support, love, offering a helping hand, praise and thanksgiving, and journeyed with us.
- Sara Knutson for sending a little care package from Camp Gray to lighten up my day (and of course some treats!)
- Hoebens for sending some deer sausage, jerky, warm fuzzies, and then Reba even brought some good Wisconsin cheese curds when she was in the area
- Preboski's for sending a little care package of treats for chemo days (I actually have some of the trail mix at my desk right now)
- Carters for offering and bringing over some meals for Sarah and I occassionally on chemo days - and man do they know how to make some good soup. Just dont let them make Jell-o in your house... I hear they had a little explosion before it made it to the bowl :-)
- Carlena and Allison (same family as above) for their concern, thoughts, prayers, cards, and excitement the day they were walking from the bus and I was able to tell them I was cancer-free. The little gifts/cards from them really can make our hearts smile.
- CBRE for their gracious support throughout this. I'm sure many employers wouldnt be so accomodating and I have felt very comfortable being open and honest about what is going on, without a worry in the world that I would be inhibiting my future career advancement.
- TEC for supporting Sarah and allowing her to be the most loving, caring, and supportive wife. Especially when she was in the float pool and people didn't know her well they still asked what was going on, offered a shoulder if she needed one, and were very accomodating if I wasn't doing the best and she knew she might get a personal call or 2.
- Mark and Maria for always asking how things were going, knowing it was a rough time, and even treating us to some of the most delicious Chinese food in Seattle - if you've never been to Snappy Dragon you better go sometime.
- Fr. Daniel and Blessed Sacrament for all of the support, prayers, love, and anointing Sarah and I on a monthly basis. That added strength and prayer really did more healing than any doctor could imagine.
- Many, many people who offered to be tested in case I would need a bone marrow transplant. Not only those family and friends that we would expect, but even people we didn't even know. It was such a humbling offer of love to be in my position - even Dad Leopold's leadership at Ralcorp offered to be tested and checked in to see how we were all doing.
- Moran cousins for showing Sarah how important she is and at the beginning giving Sarah a pendant with a picture from our wedding to keep me close to her heart.
- Moran cousins (and I think there were a few others) for letting me show up one day after work and seeing a big box in our livingroom - every man likes a flatscreen TV :-)
- Jesson and Doug for always checking in with us, taking time to have relaxing but fun game nights, and, in the words of Jesson, "imploring all people on his Facebook list to join the We Love AJ facebook page"
- Deb and Ben for continuing to pray and taking us out for dinner to celebrate being cancer free
- Dr. Toubeh for the initial surgery and care, even if he did offer bad news - he saw my neck and wanted to learn more about it. His proactive approach could have saved my life.
- Dr. Chen and all of the nurses at the Infusion Center for their support, smiles, and care
- Nikki for being such a good, caring, loving puppy with a 6th sense to know when I wasn't feeling good, and just being a good positive distraction
- Westman's for bringing over some delicious spaghetti, Reese's yummy, gooey brownies, cards, and just stopping by to say hi and see how we are.
- Michelle for spending a day to take me in to get drugged up and get my starboard - especially since she was 8 months pregnant and everyone thought we were there for her :-)
- Gramma & Grampa Moran for letting us borrow a bed to keep in our den for Nicole (and those that helped transport it)
- Mom Stein's work friends for all of their friendship and love during a rough time - Linda has no idea how much mom loves the smiley stickers
- Others going through similar treatments or who have gone through treatment to share their experience, be a sounding board, and offer tips
- Peterson's for sending a victory bottle of some of the best Irish Whiskey the Caribbean has to offer
- Mom and Dad Leopold for offering to get Nikki for us - I dont think they knew that I'd jump at that opportunity and there were times Sarah wondered if it was the best thing but we really can't imagine our house and growing family without her!
- Many, many people for donating money to support cancer research through my Livestrong Challenge on June 20
- Mom and Dad Stein for dropping all of their plans and spending the added holiday money to come out to support us and be with us on Thanksgiving
- Chrissy, Josh, Cayden, (and even Ali) for all of their prayers, love, and understanding - especially when a lot of the focus came toward Sarah and I, as an example, changing all plans for mom and dad to come out for Thanksgiving
- Lucas and Jo for flying out to be with us and help out during their Christmas break
- and I'm sure there are other people, other things, etc. that I've missed.. trust me..I know there is and that doesn't make it any less appreciated.
Countless, numerous, zillions of thank you's to:
- Mom and Dad Leopold - from the beginning they would drop everything they were doing for us. The night we found out about being Stage 3, maybe 4, we called them with concern and they stopped their evening to make sure Em would be ok on her own and came down to be with us and just cry. They have been so supportive of us and, not that I doubted it before, but especially since Mom and Dad Stein are 2,000 miles away they always love, support, and treat me as one of their own sons. Dad Leopold cancelled some of his business trips to be around just in case we needed him as we were adjusting to what this experience would be like. Mom Leopold and Nicole came down countless times on the day of chemo to be with us, bring dinner, play with Nikki, and just see what we needed. This meant leaving Em back home, sometimes alone for a night, taking Nicole out of school, and just giving added time to Sarah and I that the rest of the family wasn't getting. And I could go on and on about all that they did, provided, and continue to offer for us. It's all because they love us.
- Mom and Dad Stein - you find out from a webcam chat one night that your 26 year old son is now a cancer patient and you live 2,000 miles away and can't do anything. How do you approach that situation? I can't imagine. Already seeing when Sarah would get sick in first trimester and I couldnt do anything I'd feel helpless - I can't imagine what they've gone through. But they've done everything they can. Flew out to be with us more than they ever planned to come out, sent emails and notes daily with prayers to cheer me up, let me know they are thinking of me. They pushed me and encouraged me to get on my bike and they worried when they thought I was doing too much. They've done all they can, offered all they can, travelled more than any normal year, and continue to do what parents do...they give, they give, they give, and they give with complete love not counting any costs.
- Pip and Nikki - Pip isn't even here yet and Nikki can't communicate on the same level, but they have been instrumental. Nikki gives us laughter and love. She gives us distraction, excitement, and yes she even tests our patience. She has been a gift to our family. Pip has been a symbol of love, hope, and all the blessings God has given us even in a rough time. God never turns His back on any of us and He is always there to be by our side or carry us. Pip was a hope, a dream, a slight chance and possibility, and only by a miracle and blessing from God, continues to grow in Sarah and offer us excitement and love. Some day I hope we will be able to truly let Pip know how special of a child, message from God, and gift he/she is.
- God - nothing is possible without God. This experience has changed us, and though it isn't fun and could never be fun, we have been humbled, and we have been blessed by God. All thanks and praise goes to Him
What a beautiful, moving tribute to all the people who supported you through this process - it brought tears to my eyes. Continuing to lift you, Sarah, Pip, and Nikki up in my daily prayers. I'm excited for your treatment to finish!
ReplyDeleteWow! You sure know how to word words of appreciation! You have brought tears to my eyes reading this! I continue to pray for you and everyone involved! I can't believe I was there 5 months ago when we found out this terrible news. I am so glad we are nearing the end of the humbling experience. I can't wait to see you again! Love you loads!!!
ReplyDelete