Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I Did It, I Did It, I Did It!!

That title, truly doesn't do the same justice as an adorable 23 month old, waving her arms, shaking her hips, and singing it with such pride!

Over the 4th of July, we took advantage of the weird week (weird in that vacation schedules made work pretty unproductive).  Between the weekend, Sarah's typical Tuesday/Wednesday off, and then my taking off Thursday and Friday, we realized it was the perfect opportunity to focus on potty training.  I was hesitant and a little doubtful, but since I tried to let Gabriella keep her binky even longer and that went without a hiccup, I shook my head and said "yes dear."  We followed the 3-Day Potty Training approach, and with the added days, it just helped Gabriella really understand what was going on and build some new habits.  It wasn't easy, there were accidents, but it was totally worth it and I would deem it a success!

Basically, in the 3-day approach you commit to not leaving the house, spending most time in one room, put a potty chair in the middle of the room so it is always accessible, and start playing. The primary caveat is that your child runs around bare bottom for the entire time (naps and bedtime are up to you - we had her in a diaper).  This way, as soon as she starts to go, no fabric is there to soak it up, she associates the feelings with going potty, and with encouragement/acknowledgement that she is going and helping to get her to the potty chair she quickly realizes 'I should be sitting there when that happens.'

Gabriella got a sticker for every time she went in the potty which helped motivate her as well.  She is still a bit scared to go #2, but that often happens and we will get through that.  Once we had the "toddler seat" for the big girl toilet she took to that better than the potty chair.

I can't recall the last time she had an accident at home, but she has still had a few when in new environments because she is focusing on playing, and then there was one time in the car where we decided to see if she could hold it for a few more minutes.

All-in-all I would say we are doing great and I never thought I'd be so proud of someone being able to "go." She is doing such a good job that she is even preparing us for Lil Bug.  Gabriella doesn't like to be wet, and she now knows the feeling of having to go.  So, even though she sleeps in a diaper, she often wakes up, yells for us that "Gabbie pee pee," and one of us (lately it has been Sarah since she is sleeping so poorly) goes in, takes off her diaper and gets her to the bathroom.  In fact, the other night, Sarah said it was pretty cute holding a nearly completely sleeping Gabbie up on the potty to go.

We can now mark off (though we will still have accidents) another big transition from our list which include:

  • No more binky
  • Potty training
  • Move from crib to new room and big girl bed (needs to give up her crib for her little brother/sister)
GREAT JOB GABRIELLA!!

I'd include some pictures, but, really?!?!  Give the girl some privacy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment