... I'm not concerned one bit about Sarah being an incredible mother. So what on earth spurs a recently married man to write about such a thing?! No, no, no, don't get all excited or get worried, we are not pregnant, though we do often talk about the blessing that it will be when God guides our prayerful discussions toward new life - but we aren't ready just yet, at least I'm not :-).
But in all reality I often wonder and question if I'll be a good father. When I was discerning the priesthood, my dad always told me that he had complete confidence in me and in my relationship with our Savior that I would either make a good father or a good father - all depending on the road that I would choose. I really hope that I can. Show my son to be a gentleman, have him be my little "gopher" in the garage, teach him how to grill, throw a spiral, and respect women like his mother. Show my daughter that she is worth more than a million dollars - daddy's little girl, be that strength that she needs when she is down, maybe even show her some cooking techniques (Sarah is the baking queen tho - mmm.. that girl is GREAT at baking).
I could go on and on about all of these things, but here is where this sudden pondering came from. Just over a week ago, Sarah and I helped out at one of the Natural Family Planning (NFP) courses. The couple that teach, Monica and Michael, are an amazing Catholic couple with such an adorable and blessed family. They have 2 little girls and the newest member, a little boy. When we've seen them at church they sit in the front row, all dressed up, and the girls are so quiet and respectful - it's truly inspiring to see. --Back to a week ago-- After the class was finished, Monica asked if we'd like to come over for dinner, which was very kind of them. We had a delicious pot roast, and it was apparent that the girls are used to having company, they even knew who we were. But then comes the cutest part in my mind. When they would address us or talk about us we weren't AJ and Sarah, nor were we mommy and daddy's friends. Instead we were very politely addressed as Mrs. Sarah and Mr. AJ. It really felt nice. Maybe that is why my mom and dad always told me to address people as Mr. and Mrs. It is the polite thing to do.
But how do you get to that point? Some families sit in the back of church, sometimes even end up ripping the song books. When visiting the kids go nuts with their toys or seeking attention - yet a few parents have the patiences, skills, and love to be able to teach their children love, quietness, and respect from even the earliest days.
I'm even thinking it's not too early to start praying that the Lord guide me in all I say and do to be a better father and have the strength and patience to raise our children in a similar manner. I think I have a bit of praying and learning to do - but luckily, I have the best wife a man could ask for to help me out when it does come time.
"Thank you Mr. AJ and Mrs. Sarah for coming over for dinner. Goodnight"
No comments:
Post a Comment